Software Engineering Manager - Prep (Orange County) at sweetgreen
Software Engineering Manager
Who We Are
A sweetgreen Software Engineering Manager (SEM) is the people manager for a team of software engineers and is ultimately responsible for building products and experiences that support business requirements. They establish individual goals for sweetgreen team members that accelerate growth. They define and evaluate specific vendor objectives, when vendors are used. They establish team goals that enable the team to improve and deliver on the products and experiences the team is responsible for.
An SEM must have deep technical understanding of the products they own and the ability to work with product teams and other stakeholders to map requirements to a sustainable solution. They will work with their team to establish the SDLC, develop architectural solutions, and drive operational excellence.
People Development: An SEM’s primary task is to enable their team to be successful. The team is only as successful as the people on it, so the SEM is first and foremost a people leader. They develop, coach, and mentor sweetgreen engineers. They meet regularly with direct reports to discuss individual strengths and opportunities to grow. They actively recruit and hire qualified people who fit well with the team and contribute to its success.
Technical Expertise: Approves the system design and architecture for new and existing systems. Capable of understanding and translating complex functional and technical requirements. Ensures subject matter experts are brought in to review designs, especially when integrating with other systems. Ultimately responsible for their engineering team’s Objectives and Key Results (OKRs).
Building: Drives full stack development (backend to frontend) of all products and features by validating all requirements are met; ensuring DRY, SOLID, and YAGNI code design principles are used to write, review, and test code; and drives best practices for quality validation and continuous deployment. Actively observes and iterates on the established SDLC. SEMs should be capable of writing code, but are not expected to be writing it as part of their role. They are responsible for making sure that the code written by their team is done so correctly and best practices are followed.
Operational Excellence: Continually improves the performance of all team owned systems and processes by monitoring operational metrics, documenting and communicating impactful issues, escalating significant customer impacting issues, and driving changes to avoid future issues.
Vendor Management: When leveraging vendors to accelerate product development, an SEM focuses on managing the vendor execution and is responsible for ensuring they are meeting the needs of the business and completing their work as agreed upon. The SEM is ultimately responsible for what is built and must validate the work and the progress of the vendor. They must identify and escalate any shortcomings.
- 3+ years’ experience in managing people on a software engineering team.
- 5+ years’ leading and developing large-scale technology initiatives.
- 13+ years of general software development experience.
- Ability to coach, mentor, and guide people in their careers.
- Expertise in creating, designing, and critiquing complex software systems.
- History of adapting and refactoring legacy software systems.
- Advanced understanding of the SDLC and Agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of multiple programming languages and their applicability to a given problem space.
- Thorough grasp of best practices across many technical disciplines (client, server, automation, deployment, QA, and project management).
- Expert-level knowledge in modern web development practices, especially those relating to service design.
- A strong desire to experiment with bleeding edge technology and understand related market trends.
- Strong problem solving, communication, and negotiating skills.
- Strong time management.
- Three different medical plans to suit your and your family's needs
- Dental and Vision insurance
- Flexible PTO plan
- 401k; company match of 50% up to 3% of employee contribution
- 5 months paid family leave; we believe in fully supporting new parents
- Employee HSA and FSA
- Complimentary greens
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Free sweetgreen swag
At sweetgreen we are focused on building a great experience for our customers and we look to constantly enhance that through empowerment of our teams to build innovative solutions. We believe that it’s a mix of individual skill and collaboration that leads to successful outcomes. There is no standard definition of what an Engineer is or does, and depending on where you’re coming from things might look a little different.
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen restaurant, our 4,000+ team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means. Our people are our most valuable ingredient - the heart of our company, the face of our brand, and what truly makes the sweetgreen experience special and unique.
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.