Software Engineer III, Subscriptions at Crunchyroll (Culver City, CA or Remote)
WE HELP EVERYONE BELONG. IT’S OUR PURPOSE.
Founded by fans, Crunchyroll delivers the art and culture of anime to a passionate community. We super-serve over 100 million anime and manga fans across 200+ countries and territories, and help them connect with the stories and characters they crave. Whether that experience is online or in-person, streaming video, theatrical, games, merchandise, events and more, it’s powered by the anime content we all love.
Join our team, and help us shape the future of anime!
Location: Los AngelesEngineering @ Crunchyroll
Crunchyroll's Engineering teams thrive on action, impact, ownership, curiosity, and fan obsession. We embrace evolution, concise documentation, excellence, and empowering engineers. As part of our team, you'll take ownership of tasks, delivering high-quality results on time, and exceeding fans' expectations. We foster collaboration, fearlessly exploring innovative solutions and challenging the status quo. Our commitment to learning and curiosity drives us to embrace change and tackle complex challenges head-on, revolutionizing the anime streaming experience for our community.
About the Role:
- Work with your team to add, extend or debug subscription features to super-serve our anime community, impacting millions of users internationally
- Brainstorm with your engineering leaders, manager, product partners, and designers to unpack large complex features and user journeys into attainable milestones. You'll explore multiple solutions with a 360-degree view of your user's needs.
- Demonstrate a sense of ownership by taking responsibility for your tasks from start to finish. Collaborate with your team's product owner and with QA to thoroughly review and validate your contributions, ensuring that they meet the highest standards of quality for our users
- Review pull requests of other team members, injecting your expertise and thoughtful considerations to expedite the decision-making process. Embrace a bias for action and ensure that your keen eye spots any potential software vulnerabilities that might unintentionally creep into the codebase
- Participate in on-call shifts and respond to incidents affecting one of our subscription services in production. Diagnose where our problem spaces are and deeply understand what went wrong in order to follow up with long-term solutions for our system.
About The Team
The Subscriptions team is responsible for building and maintaining systems that assist in granting different levels of benefits for users. We are directly tied to one of the main streams of revenue and pride ourselves on quality code, service reliability, and teamwork. Our day to day work includes payment provider integrations (Stripe, iTunes App Store, Google Play, Roku, etc), customer support and marketing initiatives (promotional coupons and gift access), and assisting growth opportunities (analytics and reporting). Our services process millions of subscriptions in a highly secure, distributed, and scalable environment that is constantly evolving to meet the needs of both our users and privacy standard processes.
We are a diverse group of individuals. We represent the whole spectrum of passion for anime and have more interests outside the anime realm. Most of all, we are inclusive and welcome all. Come join us and be an integral part of the Crunchyroll family!
We get excited about candidates, like you, because...
- Education that results in strong understanding of computer science principles and design patterns. Education ranging from a Bachelor's of Science degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related science and engineering degree to alternative education, training, bootcamps, or certifications.
- 6+ years of experience in the field as a software engineer with a significant portion of that experience dedicated to backend development for large-scale systems.
- You have worked in a distributed systems or microservice architecture, handling complex system integrations and scalability challenges.
- Expertise in Typescript
- Proficient in Node.js or Golang
- Experience with React, Redux and React hooks
- Experience with databases like MySQL/PostgresDB/MariaDB/MongoDB
- Experience with AWS/GCP and technologies like API Gateway, Lambda, EC2, S3 Plus on RDS, ECS, EKS
- You are willing to be on-call on a rotational basis along with others in the team to ensure incidents are addressed as quickly as possible with the least disruption to our end-users.
- Ability to write & assess clean, functional, high quality and testable code for each of our projects.
- You have experience designing and implementing subscription-based models including billing cycles, recurring payments, and churn analysis on a high scale.
- Build features based on tech requirements provided. Self managing and efficiently taking projects to completion.
- You have a positive and proactive attitude, strong problem-solving skills and communication skills. You enjoy collaborating with cross-functional teams and are motivated to contribute to the success of the team.
Why you will love working at Crunchyroll
In addition to getting to work with fun, passionate and inspired colleagues, you will also enjoy the following benefits and perks:
- Receive a great compensation package including salary plus performance bonus earning potential, paid annually.
- Flexible time off policies allowing you to take the time you need to be your whole self.
- Generous medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, and life insurance
- Health Saving Account HSA program
- Health care and dependent care FSA
- 401(k) plan, with employer match
- Employer paid commuter benefit
- Support program for new parents
- Pet insurance and some of our offices are pet friendly!
The Pay Range for this position is listed. Actual pay will vary based on factors including, but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Crunchyroll’s Total Rewards offerings for employees. Other rewards may include performance bonuses, employer matched retirement savings, time-off programs, and progressive health benefits and perks.
Pay Transparency - Culver City, CA
We want to be everything for someone rather than something for everyone and we do this by living and modeling our values in all that we do. We value
Courage. We believe that when we overcome fear, we enable our best selves.
Curiosity. We are curious, which is the gateway to empathy, inclusion, and understanding.
Service. We serve our community with humility, enabling joy and belonging for others.
Kaizen. We have a growth mindset committed to constant forward progress.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion
Our mission of helping people belong reflects our commitment to diversity & inclusion. It's just the way we do business.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Crunchyroll. Pursuant to applicable law, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Crunchyroll, LLC is an independently operated joint venture between US-based Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Japan's Aniplex, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment (Japan) Inc., both subsidiaries of Tokyo-based Sony Group Corporation.
Questions about Crunchyroll's hiring process? Please check out our Hiring FAQs: https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040471712-Crunchyroll-Hiring-FAQs
Please beware of recent scams to online job seekers. Those applying to our job openings will only be contacted directly from @crunchyroll.com email account.