Software Engineer - Core Analytics at Honey
Who we are
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 325 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom, enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
When applying for a job you are required to create an account, if you have already created an account - click Sign In.
Creating an account will allow you to follow the progress of your applications. Our system does have some requirements that will help us process your application, below are some guidelines for creation of your account:
- Provide full legal First Name/Family Name – this is important for us to ensure our future hires have the right system set up.
- Please Capitalize first letter of your First and Last Name.
- Please avoid using fully capitalized text for your First and/or Last Name.
- NOTE: If your name is hyphenated or has multiple capitalization, please use the same format as your government ID.
Job Description Summary:
Honey is a fast-growing division of PayPal based in Los Angeles. Our online shopping platform offers users a better way to buy. We open up instant access to exclusive savings, deals, and rewards, all powered by the collective knowledge of Honey's community of online shoppers. We are helping millions save when they shop online, and we're hiring!
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 305 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Honey is a fast-growing company based in Los Angeles, and we’ve recently joined the PayPal family to help supercharge our mission of creating fairness and value for everyone. We’ve built a community of over 20 million online shoppers and use the collective insights of our members to power an online shopping platform that allows everyone to shop smarter, together. With that, we are excited to say we’re hiring! We are seeking seasoned Software Engineers to join our Los Angeles team to help us build and deliver excellent, user-first products via rapid iterations and peer review.
About The Role:
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer to join Honey’s Core Analytics team. This is a primarily backend, data platforms and systems role focused on helping the company leverage its data effectively. You will be responsible for the evolution of multiple Honey fundamental data-oriented internal services and platforms. You will be sought as an expert of frameworks, advocate for best practices and cross-team influencer. You will be expected to partner with cross-functioning as well as specialized teams like SRE and Security in delivering robust, scalable, secure and resilient solutions.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop & maintain data pipelines for ingesting, transforming, and transferring data within the company
- Develop scalable way to use data-sets across the org accurately and efficiently
- Iterate on our analytics platform for analysts to easily define data models and collaborate with other analysts as well as the broader business (all Honey employees are internal data users)
- Identify, Design, & Provide tools to increase velocity and effectiveness of using data at Honey
- Iterate on performance / efficiency of using data at Honey
- Be responsible for helping Honey level-up how data is used internally to ensure quality and efficiency of our efforts
If you’re on the fence about whether you meet all of the requirements for this role, please apply!
- 5+ years programming in at least one modern programming environment. Python, Scala, or Go are helpful but not required
- 5+ years architecting with both SQL and NoSQL data stores. We use Big Table/HBase, Spark, Dataflow, Spanner, BigQuery, and Elasticsearch, but if you have experience using Hive, Hadoop, or Pig that works too!
- Experience designing schemas and maintaining representations for low latency, analytical queries
- Experience with streaming platforms (PubSub, Kafka, Kinesis) and near-real-time data pipelines
- Working knowledge of statistics and experimental design
- Comfortable building and maintaining data infrastructure in the cloud
Nice to Have Qualifications:
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, Docker, CircleCI, Git, Golang, Java
- Experience with GraphQL, GraphQL Federation, REST APIs and supporting network protocols
- Experience with a distributed SQL platform like CockroachDB or Google Spanner
- Experience with Hadoop, MapReduce, or other “Big Data” systems
- Experience with SQL parsing engines (or similar AST based analyzers)
At Honey, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.