Senior Software Engineer - XP (Los Angeles) at sweetgreen
Senior Software Engineer - Experience Platform
Who We Are
At sweetgreen, a Senior Software Engineer is responsible for building, testing, debugging/troubleshooting, and maintaining code for both web and native applications. They share some infrastructure responsibilities regarding DevOps, take the lead on continuous integration and deployment, and drive standards with Lead Engineers and the rest of the department.
It is expected that a Senior Engineer will promote strong design principles as they relate to scalability, disposable resources, automation, loose coupling, service oriented design, databases, removing single points of failure, cache, cost, and security. They are trusted squad members that heavily influence the design and implementation of new services while also integrating with and upgrading existing ones to address mission-critical problems. Working closely with Lead Engineers, Software Engineering Managers and Principals, they champion architectural decisions that facilitate the work of their teams and our business as a whole.
Success depends on balancing their schedules to implement their designs alongside their peers as hands-on senior contributors.
Top Goal - The Experience Platform domain is a technical domain whose key performance objective is to create a contribution model that reduces friction, elevates the quality of solutions, and improves the speed of development for customer experience work. This squad will be focused on improving the current implementation, discovering opportunities for consolidation, and evaluating new technical solutions that could allow us to move even faster. The early focus for this squad will be mobile, and over time extend to all ordering channels. Within 90 days you’ll have developed a comprehensive understanding of our current mobile workflows and begun to implement the improvements that you and your team have identified as being critical to reduce friction.
- Map the Existing System: A guest order flows through many systems before making it to our customers. In your first two weeks, you’ll have developed a deep understanding of the order lifecycle by reviewing the existing system design and documentation. By day 21, you will have contributed to those areas that need additional documentation, in both Confluence and elsewhere.
- Contribute To Technical Implementation: By day 30, you will spend the majority of your time participating in the technical production of new work. The primary focus of the technical development effort will be to improve the workflows relating to our mobile clients. Your work will include presenting your own pull requests and reviewing others. In partnership with Technical Program Management you’ll hold yourself accountable to the dates that you committed to, completing feature work in your first sprint.
- Be a Champion for Test Coverage: In order to allow for the rapid development of new features and improvements to the platform as a whole, a portion of your work will focus on testing. In the first 60 days you’ll have improved the coverage of one of our mobile codebases by 10%. You lead by example and ensure adequate coverage for any new work while also improving what areas relating to your work that may have pre-existed without coverage.
- Document Your Path: In order to ease future teammate onboarding, debugging, and knowledge sharing of complex services while mitigating the risk of tribal knowledge, within 30 days in seat, you’ll be contributing to our information architecture.
- Raise The Bar: At sweetgreen we dedicate a portion of our attention to matters that may not be immediately customer facing and instead allow for us to work smarter, or faster, or simply reduce friction in the developer experience. You’ll own your squad’s specific backlog that is focused on operational excellence.
- Demonstrated track record of building exceptional software
- Knowledge and experience with AGILE methodology.
- Experience consuming RESTful APIs.
- Experience deploying website A/B testing or personalization
- Strong understanding of best practices relating to frontend architecture
- A strong desire to experiment with bleeding edge technology and understand relating market trends.
- Strong problem solving, communication, and creative skills.
- Strong time management.
- Three different medical plans to suit your and your family's needs
- Dental and Vision insurance
- Flexible PTO plan
- 401k; company match of 50% up to 3% of employee contribution
- 5 months paid family leave; we believe in fully supporting new parents
- Employee HSA and FSA
- Complimentary greens
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Free sweetgreen swag
At sweetgreen we are focused on building a great experience for our customers and we look to constantly enhance that through empowerment of our teams to build innovative solutions. We believe that it’s a mix of individual skill and collaboration that leads to successful outcomes. There is no standard definition of what an Engineer is or does, and depending on where you’re coming from things might look a little different.
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen restaurant, our 4,000+ team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means. Our people are our most valuable ingredient - the heart of our company, the face of our brand, and what truly makes the sweetgreen experience special and unique.
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.