Senior Software Engineer, Registry at Babylist (Greater LA Area, CA or Remote)
Who We Are
Babylist is the leading vertical marketplace and commerce destination for baby, driving purchase decisions for more than 8 million people each year. Utilizing robust proprietary data, patented technology, and unbiased editorial guidance, Babylist recommends expert-tested products to those starting their parenting journey so loved ones can offer their support. Babylist registries connect new parents and their community of family and friends who help plan, prepare, and shop for a child's arrival. Babylist is the generational brand in baby, leading the $67 billion baby products market as the trusted go-to solution for growing families. To learn about Babylist’s registry options, editorial content, and more, visit www.babylist.com.
Our Ways of Working
We have team members located across the United States spanning multiple time zones. This means we put in extra effort to make sure we connect and collaborate in ways that make sense for us. We know how valuable the flexibility of remote work is for our employees.
We know that personal connection is the foundation for the great work we do together. In order to build those relationships with team members in other cities, we meet with coworkers in person two times a year at a full company offsite and a departmental offsite. These offsites are expected of employees and are great opportunities to meet the people you work with every day and to do some of the work that is much more difficult to do virtually.
Our Tech Stack
- Ruby on Rails
- Native iOS and Android
What the Role Is
Babylist is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Registry team. This team is responsible for the end-to-end experience of building and sharing your Babylist registry; used and loved by millions of parents and gift givers. Product areas include catalog search, structured registry building, product recommendations, guides, and thank you notes
As a Senior Fullstack Engineer you will work with our product and design teams to shape new product initiatives and deliver on complex new functionality. Additionally, you will work with your peers across our engineering org to understand systemic bottlenecks, design architectural improvements, and roll them out with your team.
Who You Are
- 6+ years of experience in full-stack software development
- Have proven experience with distributed system design
- Able to deliver elegant, effective software solutions in a timely manner
- A clear, friendly, and open-minded communicator
- Passionate about solving techno-social systems problems
How You Will Make An Impact
- Work closely with product owners to design, implement and deploy systems to support and scale our registry experiences.
- Prioritize and lead efforts to improve our tooling, systems, and software architecture. You should feel energized by collaborating with your engineering peers to make platform and organizational level improvements.
- Improve and help maintain existing systems. Friction in the development process slows us down and has a large opportunity cost. You relish the opportunity to improve test coverage and delete thousands of lines of code.
- Working in a close, supportive team solving real world problems and making decisions.
- Mentoring other team members through design and architecture planning, code reviews, and knowledge sharing sessions.
- Maintaining older systems and replacing them safely.
- Identifying opportunities for new product initiatives founded in your knowledge of the technical landscape and web platform capabilities.
Why You Will Love Working At Babylist
- We invest in the infrastructure you’ll need to be supported and successful: tools, opportunities to connect with colleagues, and a stipend to help you set up your office
- We build products that have a positive impact on millions of people’s lives
- We work at a sustainable pace which means work/life balance is a real thing here
- We believe technology and data can solve hard problems
- We believe in exceptional management
- We are an antiracist organization and doing the work to support differences of all kinds
- We offer competitive pay and meaningful opportunities for career advancement
- We have great benefits like company paid medical, dental, and vision, a generous paid parental leave policy, and 401k with company match
- We care about employee wellbeing with perks for physical, mental and emotional health, parenting, childcare, and financial planning
Babylist takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. Your actual base salary will depend on factors such as your skills, qualifications, experience, and work location.
The estimated pay range for this role is $146,080.00 - $209,000.00
In addition, Babylist offers equity, bonus, and benefits, including company paid health, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) matching, flexible spending account, and paid leave (including PTO and parental leave) in accordance with our applicable plans and policies.
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.