Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Are you hungry to make an impact? Want to take a leading role in building systems that have an impact on millions of people? Do you feel at home working on a fast paced team? Then join one of the best Trust and Safety teams in the world.
We’re a lean, cross-functional team of highly motivated engineers, data scientists, product managers, community moderators, and anti-fraud specialists. Our projects range from ML experimentation and deployment, distributed signal processing, and abusive pattern analysis to building highly robust account review and moderation pipelines.
As Tinder continues to grow and create new and exciting experiences for our users, the challenge of maintaining a safe and protected experience grow ever-larger and more complicated – That’s where Tinder Trust comes in. Our team is responsible for creating a user experience free of abusive behavior such as spam, fake accounts, scams, and toxic behavior, using a combination of state-of-the-art machine learning, human analysis, distributed systems engineering, deep cross-team collaboration, and anything else in-between!
Some projects we work on include:
Account Integrity: Systems for detecting and preventing attempts to create fake accounts, bots, and other forms of bad accounts that utilize various ML techniques, i.e. computer vision, supervised and unsupervised learning models
Anti-spam: Content and behavioral ML based detection of known and emerging spam patterns
Toxic behavior: Detecting and flagging interpersonal abuse (via NLP, user reports), as well as striving to educate our users and improve the overall health of interaction on Tinder
Data transparency: Online portal where our users can download their own Tinder data
Tinder Central: Building, maintaining, and consuming Tinder Central, our internal tools platform, which provides a streamlined experience for incorporating automation into team workflows across the Product, Community, Marketing, and Engineering teams.
As a Senior Backend Engineer on our Trust Engineering team, you will:
- Design, develop, and operate resilient distributed services that run on ECS or Kubernetes to serve hundreds of millions of users around the world
- Conceive, implement, monitor, and improve creative new ML based systems for detecting and removing bad actors
- Collaborate across various teams, including product, devops, platform, clients, community, etc.
- Ensure that technical designs support our goals of quality, performance, scalability, reliability, availability, maintainability, and security
- Influence the roadmap and product development of anti-spam and anti-abuse systems
- Guide, inspire, and develop team members
- Drive new technical initiatives that will ultimately improve the day-to-day efficiency of all users of the internal Tools platform
We're looking for:
- Excellent knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design and coding
- Hands on experience building distributed backend systems handling high volumes of traffic
- Experience in handling ambiguous business requirements with excellent prioritization, time management abilities, and a focus on execution
- Passion to solve complex problems and make continuous improvements
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Hands-on experience with database technologies at scale (either SQL or NoSQL)
- AWS experience preferred
- Eagerness to keep learning and growing, and a passion for providing mentorship
- Passionate about making high user impact and moving key metrics
- A BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering from a top school, but a wonderful project list is even better
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience in design and development using NoSQL, such as DynamoDB or Cassandra
- Experience with redis, ElasticSearch, Kafka, and Spark
- Experience with Docker containers along with Kubernetes or ECS
- Hands-on native mobile development experience
- Leadership experience
- Implemented machine learning algorithms in production
- Run A/B tests and analyzed the results
- NodeJS or Java experience
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The hustle of a startup with the impact of a global business
- Tremendous opportunity to solve some of the industry’s most important challenges
- Working with an extraordinary team of smart, creative, fun and highly motivated people
- Comprehensive health coverage, competitive salary, 401(k) match and meaningful equity
- Unlimited vacation and flexible working hours
- Daily catered lunches, endless supply of refreshments, basketball court, fitness classes and social events
- Modern, uplifting work environment in an ideal location
- And much more...