Senior Software Engineer, Backend at Honey
Honey is a fast-growing startup based in Los Angeles. Our online shopping platform offers users a smarter way to shop. We open up instant access to exclusive savings, deals, rewards and discovery, all powered by the collective knowledge of Honey's community of online shoppers. We are helping millions save when they shop online, and we're hiring! We are seeking Senior Backend Engineers to join our Los Angeles team to help us build and deliver excellent, user-first products via rapid iterations and peer review.
If you aren't already in the Los Angeles area, don't fret - we'll move you here!
Our engineering team values problem-solving, collaboration, constant learning, and curiosity about how things work. We are looking for engineers who want to be better at their job today than they were yesterday. You will work with a diverse group of people to create solutions at scale, delivering high reliability, and an exceptional user experience using the latest technology like GraphQL, Kubernetes, and Google Spanner. With a strong focus on ownership, Honey is the ideal place to grow your career and make an impact on products that are used by millions.
If you’re on the fence about whether you meet all of the requirements for this role, please apply!
- You use a modern version-control system for your source code repository (Git, Mercurial, GitHub, BitBucket)
- You lint all your code or know you should
- You know what parts of your code require tests and you write those tests
- You know how to use a framework to create robust and reliable HTTP-based APIs
- You know it’s important to monitor your production systems
- You know it’s important to stage your systems before you deploy to production
- You know about continuous integration systems like Travis, Jenkins, or CircleCI (we use Circle)
- You’re able and willing to deploy your systems to production and troubleshoot them if they fail
- You want to work with Docker and Kubernetes
In this role, you’ll:
- Work within a mission team (a cross-functional team focused on a specific, well-defined mission) on a given set of features and services
- Architect, design, write, review, and test code in a collaborative environment with 2-5 other software engineers.
- Leverage your peers as multipliers for your skills to create excellent products and services for Honey’s 10+ million users
- Build large-scale stand-alone tasks reading from Pubsub and processing millions of messages per day
- Build monitoring for all your services and tasks to ensure their reliability and health
- Work closely with a product manager for your mission team on product requirements and translating those requirements to technical solutions
Bonus Points for:
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, CircleCI, Node.js, NPM, Git, GitHub, Golang, Kubernetes, Docker
- Experience with a distributed SQL platform like CockroachDB or Google Spanner
- Experience with Hadoop, Map-Reduce, or other “Big Data” systems
At Honey, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up every day as their authentic selves. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Honey is an equal opportunity employer. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law.