Senior Site Reliability Engineer at The Trade Desk
The Trade Desk is changing the way global brands and their agencies advertise to audiences around the world. How? With a media-buying platform that helps brands deliver a more insightful and relevant ad experience for consumers — and sets a new standard for global reach, accuracy, and transparency.
So if you’re talented, driven, creative, and hungry to bring something entirely new and wildly ambitious into the world (and have some fun doing it), then we want to talk.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
- This is a Senior Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) position, responsible for the reliability, performance, and efficiency of The Trade Desk systems and applications. You will participate actively in all aspects of designing, building, and delivering reliable infrastructure and tools for our clients, partners, and employees.
- The Trade Desk infrastructure is “hybrid” both in operating system (Linux, Windows) and environment (bare metal, cloud). The Senior SRE should be well rounded and “technology agnostic” with a pragmatic approach towards the best tool for the situation. You will have the opportunity to support thousands of hosts throughout the world, with petabyte-scale data challenges.
Senior Engineers contribute to more than our product – they build up our team. Through a combination of mentoring and technical leadership, they make others better and raise the bar for those around them.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- You have a sustained track record of making significant, self-directed, and end-to-end contributions to large and impactful infrastructure projects. You think beyond just the task at hand to deeply understand the 'why' behind what you are doing.
- You can code. At our scale we are not interested in “boutique” manual management of servers and software. You code with languages such as C#, Python, Go, Powershell, or Ruby. When a problem needs a software solution, you roll up your sleeves and get to work.
- You design for scale. You manage cattle, not pets. In other words, you understand that the only way to scale is to avoid special snowflakes of systems and applications. You design systems to auto-scale and auto-heal. Via automation, you relentlessly strive to eliminate manual toil.
- You are a broadly skilled engineer with an interest in service reliability, automation, monitoring, and/or capacity planning. But you have the breadth of knowledge necessary to support a wide variety of software and systems.
- You understand modern architectures. You know why Docker and containers are more than just buzzwords, but you are cautious against overcomplexity and overengineering. You are able to use traditional configuration management such as Chef, Ansible, or Terraform as well as modern infrastructure schedulers like Kubernetes and Mesos. You enjoy working with the latest monitoring and metrics platforms such as Prometheus.
- You are comfortable working on physical gear or in the cloud. Our hybrid environment requires objective knowledge of infrastructure, equally comfortable with traditional, physical servers as well as the software abstractions present in cloud platforms such as AWS.
- You work with confidence and without ego. Our engineers have deep knowledge and exercise a high degree of leadership in their daily work. You have strongly-held, defensible ideas, and advocate for what you believe is right. You are also adept at identifying and evaluating trade-offs, willing to be proven wrong, and quick to walk through fire to support your fellow teammates. You often have strong opinions but weakly held.
- You value, seek out, and foster diversity. We are a global team from many diverse backgrounds, with different experiences and perspectives. To complement this team, you will welcome ideas that are different from your own and be skilled at finding and building from common ground.
- You are a creative thinker, not bound by "the way things have always been done". What you know is less important than how well you learn and innovate. We don't need engineers who know all the answers; we need engineers who can invent the answers no one has thought of yet, to the questions yet to be asked.
WHAT WE CARE ABOUT:
What and how you can contribute is what’s important to us. Our consideration is not limited by the kind of education you have or the specific technologies you have experience with. Variety of technical challenge is one of the best things about working at The Trade Desk as an engineer, but we do not expect you to know every technology we use when you start. What we care about is that you can learn quickly and solve complex problems using the best tools for the job.
Our culture runs much deeper than just having fun together (though, we do that well too...) – the people we want on our team are trust-builders, generous givers, scrappy problem solvers, and gritty pursuers of excellence.
Does this sound like you? If so, we welcome your application and the chance to meet you.
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.