Senior Director, Quality Engineering at BlackLine (Greater LA Area, CA or Remote)
Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance.
We are a technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Work, Play and Grow at BlackLine!
As a Senior Director / Head of Quality Engineering, you will be at the very heart of BlackLine’s quality engineering processes, dedicated to delivering high-quality SaaS to our customers, both quickly and effectively. Your expertise, knowledge, and passion for your domain will imbue the organization around you; you will be a champion for code health, testability, usability, performance, scale, and security.
This is a transformational role requiring exceptional technical, organizational, communication and collaboration skills. You will have the opportunity to lead and grow a world-class team. You will be a technical thought-leader, a champion for rigorous and adaptive test design, proactive planning, results orientation, and quality-first culture. By leading a diverse geographically distributed team of Quality Engineers and Managers, you will be able to affect transformative change within the organization and help accelerate BlackLine growth.
At BlackLine, leadership is a powerful responsibility. We favor servant-leaders who support and enable their teams, guide them to continuous improvement, plan proactively and successfully execute paths towards that success. In the right hands, with the right experience, this role can be a force that can change the very nature of how we work, and through that it can drastically improve the working lives of every one of our customers. The ideal person for this role will be someone who understands the art and science of testing for mission critical, cloud scale enterprise SaaS with an ability to flex between the strategic and the tactical.
- Translate the high-level strategic vision into clear and actionable organizational and technical roadmap.
- Provide technical and operational leadership, with a demonstrated ability to lead at all levels in a bleeding-edge, high-performance, and high-volume environment
- Collaborate with engineering, product, Ops and customer support leaders to define, prioritize and implement a ‘quality first’ approach throughout the SDLC for better customer experience.
- Foster a culture of Continuous Delivery (CD) and efficiency by “automating everything automatable” and using automation day in and day out.
- Define, measure, and communicate key metrics/KPIs highlighting engineering efficiency, and the quality of shipped features.
- Attract, retain, motivate, and grow talent in a globally distributed team.
- Promote a culture of collaboration, success, pride, performance, discipline, and creativity.
- Exercise sound judgment, discretion, and timeliness in decision making.
- Evaluate and refine engineering processes to streamline development, reduce time to delivery, increase quality, and promote a culture of excellence within the organization
- Transform and drive superior customer experience via improved quality, monitoring, incident management capabilities, root cause analysis and corrective actions.
- Set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability.
- 12+ years of software design and testing experience with a proven track record of enterprise class SaaS delivery, paired with increasing responsibility in technical and strategic roles.
- 4+ years of experience as Manager of Managers for a geographically distributed team of 50+ engineers.
- Inspirational and highly collaborative leadership style, capable of building top-talent teams, cross-functional bridges, and high-impact architectures.
- Experience in hiring, training, mentoring, and managing multiple teams.
- Excellent leadership skills showing commitment, strategic foresight and planning, integrity, and change management to drive organization towards continual success.
- Deep understanding of functional and non-functional requirements for enterprise SaaS at scale in the areas of system performance, scalability, reliability, security, and extensibility.
- Experience with continuous integration, test pipelines, load & performance testing, and test automation.
- Deep understanding of what it takes to effectively implement and utilize test automation.
- Extraordinary engineering vision, data focus, and customer advocacy orientation.
- Works well under pressure and can shift priorities as needed.
- Experience with the public cloud (AWS, Azure, or GCP).
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, listening, and negotiation skills, with ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Strategic thinker with ability to roll up sleeves to get things done.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline; MS preferred.