Senior Backend Engineer
Tala is looking for great Software Engineers who want to tackle challenging problems in an innovative and collaborative manner. We pride ourselves on having an ego-free environment. We consider ourselves language agnostic-problem solvers and do not discriminate if you haven’t worked with our exact tech stack.
Engineering is a craft, and at Tala we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from another and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
As a Senior Backend Engineer You Will:
- Design and implement complex, distributed platforms for storing data, scaling parallel algorithms, etc.
- Analyze fault-tolerance and high availability issues, performance and scale challenges, and solve them.
- Understand trade-offs between consistency, durability and costs to build solutions which can meet the demands of rapidly growing services.
- Ensure operational readiness of the services and meet the commitments to our customers regarding availability and performance.
Our Ideal Senior Backend Engineer Will Have:
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals.
- 5+ years’ experience working on backend software using modern languages and frameworks (Java, Go, Scala, Python, Play, Django).
- Strong relational database experience (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, or MS SQL).
- Working knowledge in API development for mobile/web use.
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to thousands of users with production quality deployment, monitoring and reliability.
- Ability to decompose complex business problems and lead a team in solving them.
You Can Stand Out by Having:
- Expert proficiency in Agile development process.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science and/or Math.
- Excellent ability to prioritize and communicate in a fast-paced, startup environment.
- Bonus: Experience in predictive analysis and machine learning.
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. More than 1.3 million people have borrowed through Tala’s smartphone app, which provides instant credit scoring, lending, and other personalized financial services in emerging markets. Tala has raised more than $105 million from leading venture and impact investors including Revolution, IVP, Ribbit Capital, Data Collective, and Lowercase Capital. Tala’s global team is headquartered in Santa Monica, with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Dar Es Salaam, Mexico City, Mumbai, and Bangalore.