Senior Backend Engineer, Platform at Clutter
Clutter is an on-demand, technology company based in Los Angeles that is disrupting the $50B/year self-storage and moving industries. We’ve built an end-to-end logistics and supply chain platform, enabling us to offer consumers a much more convenient solution at price parity with the incumbents. We’ve raised $300M from a number of VCs, including Softbank, Sequoia Capital, Atomico and GV (formerly Google Ventures). We have 750+ team members and tens of thousands of customers in 7 major markets across the US with plans to be in 50+ markets, domestically and internationally, within the next 5 years!
At Clutter, we're fortunate to be providing a consumer value proposition that people love and one that makes economic sense - a true product/market fit that few startups ever find. To deliver on our promise to consumers, team members and investors, we've focused on hiring, training and retaining exceptional individuals. This means that we have a very thorough interview process and maintain high performance expectations, but we'll always be transparent with you and respectful of your time.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, Platform you’ll own a significant system at Clutter, caring about the scale, usability, performance, and impact of our core platform. You’ll work on code that is closest to the business, and as a result will have end-to-end impact across all of the systems that help Clutter run efficiently and effectively.
What you'll do:
- Architect a plan for how our systems interact and depend on each other, keeping performance and high availability in mind.
- Optimize APIs and services.
- Design and refactor fault-tolerant systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and lead our platform team, including defining the platform roadmap and key focus areas of improvement.
What we’re looking for:
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or a related field
- You are a Ruby on Rails expert and have 5+ years of experience working on large-scale software projects and service-based architecture.
- Experience building high-performance and distributed consumer-facing applications and concurrent systems.
- Strong understanding of and experience working with relational databases, in particular NoSQL experience.
Bonus points if you have:
- Prior experience with dynamic pricing strategy
- Experience with distributed caching
Clutter is committed to fostering a fair, inclusive, and equal work environment. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities that we serve, where each team member is empowered to come to work as their true self. Diverse teams are more successful, which is why Clutter aims to be a leader in workplace equality and move both our company and the industry forward.