What if you could use your technology skills to develop a product that impacts the way communities’ hospitals, homes, sports stadiums, and schools across the world are built? Construction impacts the lives of nearly everyone in the world, and yet it’s also one of the world’s least digitized industries, not to mention one of the most dangerous. That’s why we’re looking for a talented Principal Engineer to join Procore’s journey to revolutionize a historically underserved industry.
As a Principal Engineer on our Quality & Safety team, you’ll enable our customers to manage, log, and report on incidents, inspections, defects, and other aspects of quality control on enterprise construction projects. You’ll design and implement the application and platform to make connections between 3rd party applications and Procore’s construction platform. In collaboration with Product, QA, UX, and other teams, you’ll identify critical areas, develop roadmaps, and drive immediate and long-term strategic direction for major parts of the technology stack. If you’re a strong leader with proven experience evaluating industry best-of-class technical approaches—we have a spot for you on our team.
Backed by the might of our teams, you’ll be provided with the tools and resources needed to achieve extraordinary results that render a significant impact extending beyond the boundaries of traditional engineering roles.
This position will report into the Senior Engineering Manager for Quality & Safety tools, and has the opportunity to be based in our Carpinteria, CA, or Austin, TX offices. Remote candidates will be considered based on experience. We’re looking for someone to join us immediately.
What you’ll do:
- Continuously drive the evolution of one of the best API’s in construction by collaboratively iterating the API Architecture and Specification with feedback from customers and developers
- Architect and design a quality and safety reporting and tracking system that serves hundreds of millions of requests per day to web, mobile, and 3rd party applications for large-scale construction safety management
- Coordinate integrations with major 3rd party safety management systems
- Contribute to both core initiatives at Procore as well as independent innovative technical projects
- Use a collaborative approach to lead architectural design decisions that improve scalability and performance
- Develop teammates by conducting code reviews, providing mentorship, pairing, and training opportunities
- Serve as a subject matter expert in a domain, including tools, processes, and procedures that help guide others to create and maintain a healthy codebase
- Drive key projects including:
- Scalability: We’re scaling Ruby on Rails and need engineers who are ready to take on the challenge of working on live, core systems with millions of users.
- Complex safety and quality tracking systems: We’re building a world-class construction quality and safety planning and tracking system. You’ll work through challenges like performing field inspections of massive solar arrays, quality checks on skyscrapers and stadiums, and how to ensure safe practices that save life and limb on the largest construction projects in the world.
- Microservices: We build, maintain, and develop a wide series of microservices and are looking for engineers adept at discovering new opportunities and driving them to completion
What we're looking for:
- 10+ years experience in Object Oriented Programming fundamentals, Test Driven Development and Design principles (Ruby on Rails, Python, C++, Java)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, a related field, or comparable work experience
- Track record of anticipating technical problems that will fall out of major projects and designing solutions to overcome those problems
- Demonstrated expertise with building and/or significantly improving large, business-critical systems involving stability, performance, and scalability
- Experience with large-scale people management or workflow systems
- Experience working on multi-client implementations that include mobile and web applications
- Experience working with and developing RESTful APIs
- Time-honed expertise with modern web development across the entire spectrum of development, testing, staging, deploying, and monitoring
Procore Technologies is building the software that builds the world. We provide cloud-based construction management software that helps clients more efficiently build skyscrapers, hospitals, housing complexes, and more. Our headquarters is located on the bluffs above the Pacific Ocean in Carpinteria, CA, with growing offices worldwide. Check us out on Glassdoor to see what others are saying about working at Procore!
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome builders of all backgrounds. We thrive in a diverse, dynamic and inclusive environment. We do not tolerate discrimination against employees on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
Perks & Benefits
You are a person with dreams, goals, and ambitions—both personally and professionally. That's why we believe in providing benefits that not only match our Procore values (Openness, Optimism, and Ownership) but enhance the lives of our team members. Here are just a few of our benefit offerings: competitive health care plans, flexible paid time off (Procore Values Time), employee enrichment and development programs, and volunteer days.