Principal Engineer, Software at LegalZoom
LegalZoom runs on technology, and as dot com innovators, we look to technology to help us advance and optimize everything we do. Because of this, we rely on a backbone of committed tech superstars who make our site and software more stellar every day.
This role will report into the Director, Engineering Software of Legalzoom, Inc.
We’re looking for a Principal Software Engineer who is a self-starter and can learn quickly. Your job will be to help rollout new software systems by inserting directly into execution teams in order to spread and evangelize the latest and greatest technologies.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in software design, developing and managing the delivery of highly-scalable, micro-services driven cloud based systems, leveraging a combination of .NET, Angular, and AWS platforms.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead technical initiatives and provide guidance and governance to engineering teams
- Help introduce new technologies to engineering teams, taking part in the training, adoption, and execution of new platforms
- Work closely with other engineering teams to gain bottom-up consensus in delivering technology solutions
- Be an expert or mentor to teach and guide other engineers.
- Keep abreast of industry trends, frameworks, and patterns
- Full-stack hands on development
- Design and communicate solutions that help software engineers to deliver to growing business needs, while thoroughly considering the systems impact
- Be adaptive and strike a good balance between speed and efficiency
- Develop a deep understanding of the system, write technical specifications, mentor development team, enforce coding standards
- Help drive the DevOps culture by thinking of continuous delivery and automation first in your solutions
- Present technological solutions to IT leadership that communicates the value, intent, and tradeoffs of your approach
- Build and foster stakeholder relationships both within your team and among others
- Contribute to the department’s identity, standards, guidelines and best practices
- Support the daily operations of the IT/Tech department
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field required
- 10+ years of hands on programming experience
- 8+ years of hands on programming on the .NET platform including hands on experience with .NET Core 2.0+ and SQL Server
- 3+ years developing in other backend platforms such as Java, NodeJS, Python, PHP, etc…
- 3+ years working with NoSQL solutions such as MongoDB, Neo4J, Redis, Cassandra, etc…
- Previous experience as a technical leader and/or leading an agile/scrum team
- Experience with Secure Coding Practices and assurance that these practices are consistently followed in the development of all software products
- Cloud based computing such as Azure or AWS, especially serverless compute such as Azure Functions or AWS Lambda
- Distributed and asynchronous computing experience using message queues, streaming, and event based development using any of SNS, SQS, Azure Service Bus, Kinesis, Kafka, or related products
- Advanced experience building web services/APIs using REST based API in a high transaction environment
- Knowledge of API security using oAUTH/ OpenID Connect
- Ability to write complex SQL queries with deep knowledge of database indexing and query optimization
- Strong experience with managing change control policies, software builds, deployment strategies, code reviews and software recommendations
- Expert experience working with a source control tool (GIT) with strong understanding of how to automate developer workflows
- Proven ability to use Design Patterns to accomplish scalable architecture
- Proficiency in using architectural design utilities like Visio, ERDs, UML
- Proficiency using MS PowerPoint to deliver technical and non-technical presentations
- Expert level experience working in a Windows environment
- Intermediate experience working in a Linux environment
- Strong attention to detail and work ethic
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- AI, Machine Learning, and Natural Language Processing experience is a plus
Work is primarily performed in a typical business office environment setting using standard office equipment. Occasional travel may be required.
LegalZoom is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to diversity.