Principal Backend Engineer at BlackLine (Greater LA Area, CA or Remote)
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing!
At Blackline, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications. Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance.
Work, Play and Grow at BlackLine!
Make Your Mark:
BlackLine empowers our team members to be change agents and are always seeking new and innovative ways to solve problems. We are experiencing explosive growth and looking for passionate and talented people to join our team.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will play a crucial role in delivering high quality releases to our customers by defining application architecture, designing, developing, troubleshooting, maintaining, optimizing and scaling BlackLine's cloud-based backend services and driving innovation into our product suite.
This position is ideally located at either our Pleasanton CA or Woodland Hills CA offices but we will also consider fully remote candidates with occasional travel.
You'll Get To :
- Provide technical expertise and leadership in technology direction, road-mapping, architecture definition, design, development, and delivery of enterprise-class solutions while adhering to timelines, coding standards, requirements, and quality.
- Architect, design, develop, test, troubleshoot, debug, optimize, scale, capacity plan, deploy, maintain and improve software applications, driving the delivery of high-quality value and features to BlackLine's customers. Develop functional and technical specifications, and test plans. Review others' code. Develop and document functional and technical requirements.
- Work collaboratively across the company to design, communicate and further assist with adoption of architecture and coding standards and best practices and architectural plans. Solve complex architectural and design problems, create robust architectural solutions.
- Implement, refine, and enforce software development techniques to ensure that delivered features meet software integration, performance, security, and maintainability expectations.
- Collaborate with other teams to define and optimize existing features as well as design and build new features in a rapid iterative environment
- Coach and mentor less experienced engineers
- Research, test, benchmark, and evaluate new tools and technologies and recommend ways to implement them in product development. Identify and create solutions that are likely to contribute to the development of new company concepts while keeping in mind the business strategy, short- and long-term roadmap, and architectural considerations to support them in a highly scalable and easy extensible manner.
- Identify and create solutions that are likely to contribute to the development of new company concepts while keeping in mind the business strategy, short- and long-term roadmap, and architectural considerations to support them in a highly scalable and easy extensible manner.
- Actively participate in research, development, support, management and other company initiatives designing solutions to optimally address current and future business requirements and infrastructure plans.
- Inspire a forward-thinking team of developers, acting as an agent of change and evangelist for a quality first culture within the organization. Mentor and coach key technical staff and guide them to solutions on complex design issues.
- Establish strong relationships with company's leadership to ensure the use of technologies are well understood. Act as a conduit for questions and information flow, when those outside of Engineering have ideas for new technology applications.
- Speak in terms relevant to audience, translating technical concepts into non-technical language and vice versa. Facilitate consensus building while striving for win/win scenarios and elicit value-add contributions from all team members in group settings.
- Maintain a strong sense of business value and return on investment in planning, design, and communication.
- Proactively identify issues, bottlenecks, gaps, or other areas of concern or opportunity and work to either directly affect change, or advocate for that change by working with peers and leadership to build consensus and take action.
- Perform critical maintenance, deployment, and release support activities, including occasional off-hours support
What You'll Bring:
- 10+ years of hands-on experience of providing vision and leading the architecture, design and development of complex, highly scalable, Enterprise SaaS Applications and RESTful APIs
- Understanding and experience of microservices, preferably leading the transition of a monolithic application to a modern microservices architecture
- Solid appreciation of large-scale SaaS applications operating in a production environment for Fortune 50 type customers including knowledge of APM tools and concepts such as scalability and extensibility
- Expert level C# or Java
- A deep understanding of computer science foundations including data structures, algorithms, and design patterns
- An ability to deal with higher levels of abstraction and ambiguity and to take open ended technical problems, create clarity, design solutions and delegate components
- Successful experience and willingness to take accountability for delivery of entire projects
- Breadth of knowledge across modern technology trends such as CI/CD, Big Data, Security and others
- Prior working experience in Scrum, or other Agile development methodologies
- Passion for engineering excellence through automation, unit testing, and process improvements
- Superior analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- BS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
Thrive At BlackLine Because You Are Joining:
- A technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Just bring your brains, your problem-solving skills, and be part of a winning team at the world's most trusted name in Finance Automation!
- A culture that is kind, open, and accepting. It's a place where people can embrace what makes them unique, and the mix of cultural backgrounds and varying interests cultivates diverse thought and perspectives.
- A company who believes in providing the best possible service to its clients, and that starts with offering amazing perks to its employees. These perks include 100% coverage for healthcare, vision, and dental, 401(k) matching, ESPP, food, drinks, games, and so much more!
- A culture where BlackLiners' continued growth and learning is empowered. BlackLine offers a wide variety of professional development seminars and inclusive affinity groups to celebrate and support our diversity.
BlackLine is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, race, age, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, ancestry, color, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, medical condition, genetic information, or any other protected class or category recognized by applicable equal employment opportunity or other similar laws.