The Optical Engineer will have strong and effective communications skills to coordinate with a cross-functional team to meet very aggressive performance, cost and schedule goals. These communication skills will be critical when partnering with other development team members (mechanical, electrical, firmware, compliance, PCB layout, supply chain, manufacturing) to insure effective collaboration and delivery a highly optimized lighting system. The right candidate will adhere to robust design methodologies for successful project execution and possess good understanding of the optical characteristics of LEDs, methods used for beam shaping (reflectors, TIR, refractive optics diffractive optics), methods for mechanical integration into illumination systems and manufacturing technologies suitable for reaching optical results with each. Candidate must also possess knowledge of high-volume manufacturing environments and production variance in such environments.
Join us as we build a new department focused on revolutionizing the way things are done in our industry. We are performing cutting edge research and developing innovative tools to solve challenging problems. This role brings you the opportunity to firmly apply your stamp to our products, now and well into the future. Join us in creating amazing, beautiful and functional experiences.
The Optical Engineer will work with a small, focused cross-functional team to meet aggressive performance, cost and schedule goals for a wide variety of architectural and specification-grade Solid State Lighting fixtures.
- Contribution and implementation of best practices in optical and illumination design
- Hands-on cradle to grave process of designing and implementing new optical systems for EcoSense Lighting products
- Evaluation and aid in the selection of vendors for custom components
- Prototyping, experimentation and data-gathering of new optical systems
- Evaluation of tooling trials (on-site and otherwise) to determine form, fit and functionality
- Be comfortable working with both individual engineers and the Leadership Team
- Work closely with the engineering team to assure the visual quality of the end product
- Experience with validation and trouble shooting on optical designs
It is desired that the candidate has the following qualifications for the position:
- Bachelor's degree in Physics, Applied Optics, Optical Engineering, or Illumination Engineering
- At least 3 years of professional experience in optical designs for general illumination
- 2 years of professional experience in optical designs for LEDs or LED systems
- Background and familiarity with LED based illumination designs and hands-on photometric characterization
- Familiarity with the psychology of lighting and color
- Proficiency in optical design software (Photopia, LightTools, or others)
- Basic understanding of mechanical CAD (Pro/E, SolidWorks, others)
- Ability to develop and implement software tools to automate the optical design process (inside or outside of CAD tools) preferred
- Proficiency in Color Science with color modeling/predictive analysis capability preferred
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (less than 20%)
- Possess the ability and willingness to roll up sleeves and execute to get the job done
- Familiarity with AGI32, Photometric toolbox (is a plus)
A detailed and compelling compensation package will be outlined for the selected candidate.
All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.