At Tala, we build products that help expand financial access, choice and control globally. Working with our technology and engineering team is part art, part skill—and all heart. We like to surround ourselves with other smart people that will challenge us and bring new thinking to the team to help us build better products.
We are looking for a Mobile Engineer to produce life-changing financial services applications. In this role, you’ll be helping develop our Android application as well as contributing to the core architecture of the system. Creating a global credit-scoring platform involves solving problems that are both conceptually and technically hard, so you’ll get a mix of experience including engineering and scaling for a high-volume mobile platform. Enthusiasm and drive for crafting a great user experience is a must. If you enjoy taking a complicated idea/process and simplifying it for the user into a beautiful and compelling experience then our team may be the right place for you.
What You’ll Own:
- Contribute to architectural and design decisions your team makes and be able to articulate the impact of those decisions
- Work closely with product managers and UX team to take an idea from concept to delivery
- Ensure APIs are connected seamlessly from back-end to consumer-facing application
- Suggest ideas for how to improve user experience and flow
- Breakdown a feature into releasable chunks, estimate release schedules, and work on features with your team
- Proactively develop hypotheses for product improvements and additional solutions that can be added
- Carefully evaluate the technical tradeoffs of every decision
- Work with the Design team to hone in on the best UI and infrastructure practices
- Carry out code reviews to guarantee code quality
- Be part of a team that builds impactful features for our customers
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming
- Extensive knowledge of Java, Kotlin and the Android SDK
- Shipped multiple Android Applications that are currently available in the Google Play Store
- Passion for implementing beautiful user interfaces on Android
- Exceptional ability to debug and optimize complex Android applications on real devices
- Experience with ATSL including Espresso and UI Automator
- Experience integrating Analytics tools for Android
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science
Ideal Skills & Attributes:
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer
- Excellent language and communication skills
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals (algorithms, data structures, memory management, concurrency) with demonstrated ability to apply these skills to solve hard real world problems
- Experience with Agile Development Methodology (e.g. Scrum)
- Thorough understanding of synchronous vs. asynchronous calls (threading, synchronization, AsyncTasks, etc.)
- Expertise with the Android ecosystem, including deep knowledge of the Android SDK and/or other development environments for Android (NDK, Go on Android, etc.)
- A thorough understanding of the Android platform’s performance, strengths, and trade-offs
- Deep knowledge of Android at the OS-level
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is the leading mobile technology and data science company committed to financial inclusion globally. Millions of people have borrowed through Tala's smartphone app, which provides instant, personalized credit to underserved customers in East Africa, Southeast Asia, and Latin America. Tala is backed by leading venture and impact investors including PayPal, Revolution Growth, IVP, and Lowercase Capital. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi, Manila, Dar Es Salaam, Mexico City, and Bangalore.