Lead Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Greater LA Area
NEXT was founded with a vision to implement solutions and bring change to a fragmented industry. As a FreightTech pioneer, we are designing technology-driven solutions to transform the $800B U.S. shipping & trucking industry. Our platform connects shippers with freight capacity for every step of a shipment’s journey.
Headquartered in “Silicon Beach” El Segundo, CA -- NEXT is a company driven by a commitment to provide world-class service to shippers and truckers alike. We’re on a mission to solve a trillion dollar puzzle and make freight painless.
Armed with experienced professionals from Google, Amazon, Salesforce and Twilio, NEXT is seeking change agents who are excited to make a meaningful impact on an industry driving the U.S. economy. We have been recognized as one of Built in LA’s Best Small Companies to Work For and 50 Startups to Watch. NEXT is venture-backed by leaders such as Brookfield Ventures, GLP and Sequoia Capital.
Are you NEXT?
About The Role:
The mission of the Infrastructure team at NEXT is to provide the crucial building blocks to accelerate development across the entire engineering team, spanning the domains of cloud computing, SRE, CI/CD, and other developer tools. As the Lead Engineer on this team, you will be a key technical leader to help us improve our reliability and delivery velocity as we continue to grow our engineering team and product portfolio. You will have the opportunity to make an outsized impact on the future direction of our technical platform, processes, and culture.
To be successful, in addition to a strong technical background, you must also be an excellent communicator in all dimensions: able to truly listen and understand the most important challenges across the engineering org, while also being a champion and evangelist for the right technical solutions. Furthermore, you will act as a servant-leader who can help your team grow and develop, fostering a positive and collaborative culture.
What You'll Do
- Recruit and lead a distributed team of 4-6 engineers
- Manage and improve our AWS infrastructure and associated tooling (Terraform), with a focus on reliability, maintainability, and security
- Optimize all aspects of the CI/CD build pipeline, reducing cycle time while maintaining a high level of quality/reliability
- Create libraries, tooling, and documentation to help accelerate development across the org while adhering to best practices
- Work closely with other engineering teams to develop a roadmap for improving our technical infrastructure and development tooling/pipeline. Identify and prioritize the key problems and bottlenecks.
- Define and participate in an on-call rotation, and play a key support role during production incidents and related retrospectives
- Own the entire lifecycle of projects, from initial estimate, technical design, implementation, deployment, to post-launch follow-up.
- Develop an understanding of the logistics industry and the top-level business goals for the company, and align technology initiatives with these priorities
What You'll Have
- 7+ years relevant engineering work experience
- BS Degree in Computer Science or related field; or equivalent professional experience
- Track record of leadership and helping your team/peers grow
- Strong communications skills, and ability to influence/educate across the entire org
- Ability to identify friction/barriers in the SDLC and create innovative solutions
- Familiarity with cloud computing and infrastructure-as-code frameworks (Terraform / CloudFormation)
- Familiarity with distributed systems and related design patterns
- Experience with test automation frameworks, including integration, end-to-end, and load testing
- Familiarity with Docker and container platforms (Kubernetes / Mesos / ECS)
- Practical experience with CI/CD concepts and related tooling
- Experience with system monitoring frameworks
- 2+ years of hands-on technical leadership experience
- Familiarity with Java and Spring Framework, or other JVM languages
- Track record of working effectively in a remote/distributed team setting
What You'll Receive
- Competitive Base Salary + Bonus + Equity
- Full Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401k w/company match
- Vacation and holidays
- Fun perks: open office, dog-friendly, unlimited snacks, and monthly catered lunches!
- Join a rapidly growing technology company disrupting the trucking industry
NEXT is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing [email protected]
To all recruitment agencies: NEXT does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, NEXT employees or any other organization location. NEXT is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description