Head of Engineering
Gem is a cryptocurrency and blockchain startup based in Venice Beach. Our mission is to empower individuals to take full control of their wealth, to benefit from the value of their own data, and to experience the collective power of the decentralized movement spreading globally today.
To get a quick glimpse of the app, here is the product trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sPXEJzm2xU
Find our app in the app store here:
Gem has a team of engineers who are focused on building the UI for the decentralized ecosystem that will change the way users interact with applications and each other – to allow them to take back control of their own data. As the team grows and continues to reach new heights, it has become essential to welcome a Head of Engineering who will lead and build the engineering team, ensure the product vision is realized through excellence in execution, and collaborate with the leaders at Gem to develop company strategy. This is an opportunity break into the blockchain industry at an established and well respected company in the space.
What you’ll do
- Lead a team of 8 to 12 engineers by being very hands-on with the process, technology choices, and removing everyday blockers
- Prioritize regular one on ones with the engineers and place a strong focus on mentorship and real-time feedback
- Negotiate architectural and implementation decisions with the development team, and be the facilitator in those discussions to ensure everyone is heard and the best decision is made
- Work closely with the company leaders including the technical founder, product, and marketing to strategically build the company
- Be on the front lines of recruiting--that means determining hiring priorities, reviewing resumes, interviewing candidates, and ensuring we maintain a high standard of talent, with a fast and friendly hiring process
- Work with the individuals on your team to build career plans and ways to measure their performance so that they know how to get to the next level
- Work creatively to further improve development processes
- Provide insight and counsel to the CEO relative to all areas of engineering and product development
What you’ll need
- Strong people management skills -- you are skilled at proactively uncovering and solving people issues, and take great pride in it
- Proven ability in architecture and building scalable systems
- Experience in agile development methodologies and tools
- 10+ years related engineering experience, 3+ years in a leadership role
- The product sensibility to turn product vision into engineering plans
- Experience bringing a consumer-facing mobile application to market
What would be handy
- Experience building, deploying, and maintaining security-critical applications
- Experience with distributed systems/distributed computing
- Passion for cryptocurrency and decentralized applications
WORKING AT GEM
It's difficult to figure out what a company is like based on a job description, so we hope this helps:
- Here is a video to get a peek into what the Gem office is like.
- This is our Instagram where you can learn more about the team.
- To read articles on employee life and hear about our benefits, check out our profile on Built in LA.
- Speak directly to the Gem team by joining our Telegram channel.
NOT THE JOB YOU'RE LOOKING FOR?
If this role isn't your cup of tea, but you are still interested in working at Gem in the future, get on the list for Gem Job Alerts. You'll be the first to know when new roles open up.
Read Full Job Description