Tala is looking for a highly motivated Engineering Manager to successfully lead a team of Back End Engineers in building new platform features which will enable us to provide financial services to millions of people worldwide. Tala is a world leader in providing direct loans and financial services in emerging markets. We are a global team with diverse backgrounds who are singularly focused on using technology, data, and a customer-centric approach to meet the financial needs of the 2+ billion people of the emerging global middle class.
The Engineering Manager will be responsible for supervising, developing and leveling up Engineers, utilizing technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, ML and Go Successful candidates will have a deep background in managing scaling Engineering Teams, building backend features and applications, and is passionate about social missions and working on a product with tremendous social impact.
- Unite a group of existing and newly hired Engineers of various levels and turn them into a mature, high functioning Platform Engineering software development team.
- Support your team in building new product features.
- Contribute to the Engineering roadmap and help set the vision for the group.
- Mentor and grow Engineers, as well as tireless attract and recruit new Engineers
- Partner with the PMO to continually improve the SDLC and development processes.
- Partner with Product Management to improve requirements gathering and Engineering’s understanding of what needs to be built.
- 7+ years as an IC Engineer in Java, Scala, PHP, Go, Python
- 3+ years directly managing software engineer FTEs
- Deep experience building complex, scalable backend systems
- Have implemented and are familiar with RESTful API implementation, SOA and microservices
- Knowledge of RDBMS and NoSQL databases (including best practices around design and modeling)
- Experience using open source technologies
- Experience utilizing AWS
- Excellent mentoring skills
- Ability to partner with non-technical business peers in meetings and working sessions
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience in high data-transaction companies, fintech companies and/or scaling companies preferred
- Ability to work in fast-paced, dynamically changing environment and excited to bring an energetic, fun and creative approach to your work.
Travel could be up to 20% of the time to various emerging markets
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Tala is a mission-driven mobile technology and data science company that’s opening up financial access for underserved people globally. Tala’s smartphone app uses alternative data to deliver instant credit and help customers build their financial identities. Unlike traditional credit scoring, Tala's proprietary underwriting models draw on thousands of mobile data points including network diversity, social connectedness, geographic patterns, and financial transactions to score customers in real time, without a need for formal credit history. Tala is headquartered in Santa Monica with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by IVP, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by Forbes, the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others. Tala is headquartered in Los Angeles with additional offices in Nairobi and Manila.