Director of Software Engineering
Hallmark Labs is a subsidiary of Hallmark Cards, Inc based in Santa Monica, California.
We currently operate two digital subscription services, Hallmark Movies Now and
Hallmark eCards, as well as ongoing initiatives in personalized, print-on-demand
greeting cards. We are a diverse team of innovators, creators and influencers
leveraging Hallmark’s deep experience in creating meaningful connections and
progressing it into the digital age with cutting-edge technology.
Are you great at what you do and passionate about your work? Are you honest and
Are you a self- motivated, go-getter that likes to have fun?
If so, you are in the right place.
Director of Software Engineering
We are searching for a seasoned Director of Software Engineering to lead multiple passionate, engaged and rapidly growing teams in our Santa Monica office. This is an opportunity to fine tune and improve existing core platforms and digital products while simultaneously driving innovation under the strength of the Hallmark brand.
- Lead the SVOD, Platform, and Database Engineering teams. Including daily interaction, regular ‘hands-on’ guidance for engineers and helping maintain alignment to priorities.
- Reporting to the VP of Engineering to continuously improve software processes and team culture, budget and roadmap planning. Converting ideas and vision into executable tasks and overarching technology strategy.
- Protect, maintain and develop the team culture. Including ad hoc coaching and mentoring, regular and structured one-to-ones and performance management. Act as both a cultural custodian and ambassador, both internally and externally.
- Work closely with Product and Project Management to set the technical direction for the business and develop the engineering roadmap.
- Estimate work effort and allocate engineering resources, enabling multiple simultaneous sprints across both established and emerging products in our portfolio.
- Drive rapid prototyping cycles from technical requirements, software designs, programming, debugging, and optimization.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to both your team members and your project peers.
- Manage key stakeholder relations and communication, both internal and external.
- Actively participate in code and design reviews.
- Provide a comprehensive onboarding process for new engineering hires to set them up for success and continue to add to the organizational culture.
- Manage escalations, production issues, and new product deployments to customers.
- Interview, hire, onboard and mentor new hires to the team.
Who we think would be a fit:
We are looking for someone who not only loves leading great teams to build great software but is also passionate about achieving and promoting excellence. You may have worked at large top name companies but prefer small (but rapidly growing) nimble companies with tight knit cross-functional teams that focus on quality, velocity and innovation. You have the skills and experience, but you still love to learn - and you want to work with super talented folks to build great products and teams who create them.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field of study OR an additional 4+ years professional work experience in lieu of.
- 5+ years of software development management experience, including 1+ yrs in a Director-level role.
- 3+ years of Agile software development using Scrum.
- 3+ years of experience leading the development of cloud-based software applications.
- 2+ years’ experience delivering microservices architecture and developing REST APIs.
- Demonstrable experience delivering numerous products through the entire product lifecycle
- 2+ years’ experience working on video streaming (SVOD OTT) software products.
- Previous hands-on coding experience in Object Oriented languages in Golang, Java, C#, Ruby, Python etc.
- Data focused background, familiarity with MySQL and understanding of database design
- Experience with Reactive Architecture, Domain Driven Design and Microservices
- Experience with Linux, Golang, Apache Kafka, Docker
To be considered for this position you must show how you meet the Basic Qualifications of the job in a resume or document you upload, or by completing the work experience and education application fields. Accepted file types are Microsoft Word (DOC or DOCX), PDF, HTML, or TXT. Individual file size attachment limit is 10 MB.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Hallmark Cards, Inc. and its subsidiary companies will hire only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Hallmark does not generally provide sponsorship for employment. Employment by Hallmark is contingent upon the signing of the Employment Agreement, signing of an agreement to arbitrate in connection with the Hallmark Dispute Resolution Program, completing Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification, education verification and satisfactory reference and background checks.
Excellent medical benefits
401(k) match up to 5%
Life insurance policy for every employee, at no cost
Cell phone and home internet reimbursement
Carpool and parking pass cash-out program
Generous maternity/paternity leave
Employee assistance programs
Fully stocked kitchen with fresh fruit and delicious snacks and beverages
Monthly catered lunches
Soft serve machine 24/7
Great eateries close by, oh, and we’re near the beach!
Massage chairs and bicycles
Onsite free parking
Flexible work hours/work from home
Hallmark Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally-protected status. Principals only please.