Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
Science 37 is accelerating the research and development of breakthrough biomedical treatments by bringing clinical trials to patients' homes. Backed by venture investors such as Glynn Capital, Google Ventures, Redmile Group, dRx Capital and Lux Capital, we are seeking a razor-sharp Cloud Infrastructure Engineer eager to make an impact within a mission-driven organization changing the world of clinical research. As part of the Science 37 team, you will have a hands-on role with the development of NORA® (Network Oriented Research Assistant), the technology that enables Science 37’s groundbreaking Metasite™ clinical research model. Also, you will work to solve interesting technical challenges involving computer vision, machine learning, natural language processing, and data security. Interested? Keep reading!
The Cloud Infrastructure Engineer is at the core of Science 37’s Technology teams engineering process building software that empowers engineering teams to deliver products at the top quality and in a timely manner. They spearhead developing scalable tools that enable engineers design, develop, test, release and debug software accurately and quickly.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Deploy, automate, maintain, and manage AWS cloud-based production system, to ensure the availability, performance, scalability and security of production systems.
- Build, release and manage the configuration of production systems.
- Handle pre-production Acceptance Testing to help assure the quality of our products/services.
- Trouble shoot systems and problem solve across platform and application domains.
- Suggest architecture improvements, recommending process improvements.
- Evaluate new technology options and vendor products.
- Ensure critical system security through the use of best in class cloud security solutions.
- B.S. in computer science, engineering, or equivalent experience
- AWS: 2+ years’ experience with using a broad range of AWS technologies (e.g. ECS, RDS, ALB, S3, VPC, IAM, CloudWatch, CloudTrail) to develop and maintain an AWS-based solution, with an emphasis on cloud security best practices.
- DevOps: Solid experience as a DevOps Engineer in a 24x7 uptime AWS environment
- Scripting Skills: Strong scripting (e.g. bash, Node.js) and automation skills.
- Monitoring & Alerting Tools: Experience with system monitoring tools (CloudWatch, SNS, VictorOps).
- Problem Solving: Ability to analyze and resolve complex infrastructure resource and application deployment issues.
Preferred Experience with the following:
- Infrastructure as Code: Terraform, Docker, bash, AWS SDK (cli, node.js)
- DB Skills: Basic DB administration experience (MySQL).
- Agile Methodologies: Experience with Agile software development, project management methodologies.
- Version Control: Experience administering version control systems (git, Github).
- Networking: Understanding network topologies and common network protocols and services (DNS, HTTPS, SSH, FTP, SMTP).
- Security: Awareness of cloud security best practices (Well Architected Framework, CIS Foundation Benchmarks)
- Industry: Experience in SaaS, Healthcare/Medical, or Research
- Strong communication and presentation skills – Excellent interpersonal skills and professional demeanor. Must have the ability to communicate accurately and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Computer skills - Working knowledge of MS Office suite and Google applications. Able to generate business correspondence, create forms and generate reports as required. Proficiency with MS PowerPoint required.
- Knowledge of field organizational strategies - The ability to adapt to a rapidly changing work environment. Successful decentralized team management and situational responsive decision-making.
- Team management and collaborative capabilities – Commitment to collaboration, within and across departments. Leverages each team member’s unique background and perspective to achieve team goals while providing clear direction and accountabilities. Must be a strong team player with the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with teams working in multiple locations.
- Interpersonal Savvy- Understands interpersonal and group dynamics and reacts in an effective and tactful manner. Has a range of interpersonal skills and approaches with ability to select a best-fit approach.
- Professionalism and integrity in all actions – Demonstrated ability to foster concepts of teamwork, cooperation, self- control, and flexibility to get the work done. Detail-oriented individual with a passion for learning new skills, technologies and best practices.
- Adaptability - The ability to adapt to a rapidly changing work environment. Able to successfully work in a decentralized team environment.
- Excellent problem-solving and people skills- Communicate ideas effectively to resolve conflicts and achieve business goals. A focus on people and outcomes, not simply output. Strong problem solving skills, including providing simple solutions to complex situations.
- Practices professionalism and integrity in all actions – Demonstrated ability to foster concepts of teamwork, cooperation, self- control, and flexibility to get the work done. Professional commitment to security, stability and quality.
- Skilled in situational responsive decision-making.
- Up to 20% travel, as needed, for project team meetings, client presentations and other professional meetings/conferences as needed.
- Ability to communicate in English (both verbal and written)
Position reports to the Senior Director, Platform Engineering who will also assign projects, provide general direction and guidance. Cloud Infrastructure Engineer is expected to perform duties and responsibilities with minimal supervision.
Science 37 values the well-being of its employees and aims to provide team members with everything they need to succeed. Enjoy daily healthy catered lunches, snacks and beverages, and top-notch equipment such as the latest Macbook Pro, 4k monitors, and adjustable standing desks. Submit your resume to apply!