Astrodynamics Engineering Specialist at The Aerospace Corporation
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
Whether you’re ensuring the resiliency of satellite systems or finding innovative orbits for specialized missions, your work at Aerospace will make a difference. From delivering world-class mission assurance to pioneering technological breakthroughs, you’ll help build a safer, stronger future. Working at Aerospace means ensuring the safety and success of every government, civil and commercial space mission. You’ll work side-by-side with some of the brightest minds in the field who will support you on whatever path your career takes. As an independent nonprofit, we deliver objective analysis, searching for technical truth and tackling the most complex challenges to ensure the safety and security of the U.S. space enterprise.
As an astrodynamics engineering specialist, the qualified candidate will provide astrodynamics and mission design engineering support to government customers as they transform current missions and invent new capabilities. Emphasis will be in analysis and the development of simulation capabilities for space debris modeling, constellation design and coverage analysis, space domain awareness (SDA), missile defense, and enhancing the resilience of other mission areas in the space enterprise architecture. Customers include defense and civil agencies, such as the U.S. Space Force, the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and others.
- Directly support the development and maturation of analysis software and simulation tools.
- Conduct a range of modeling, simulation, and analysis in areas such as space mission design, orbital maneuvers, orbit estimation, space debris, and space domain awareness.
- Provide technical support to national security space and other government customers.
- Collaborate closely with Aerospace personnel in locations nationwide.
- Provide technical expertise in the modeling and analysis of space systems and their broader system-of-systems architectures.
- Conduct trade studies and comparative performance assessments of system and architecture alternatives to inform customer investment decisions/recommendations.
- Support independent assessments and studies with integrated analyst teams that include government, FFRDC, and/or contractor members.
- This position is part-time and may be considered for remote work.
- Occasional travel is required.
- Current DoD secret (or higher level) security clearance.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, mathematics, or STEM-related discipline from an accredited program.
- At least eight years of relevant professional, technical experience.
- Experience in modeling, simulation, and analysis, such as space mission analysis and design, algorithm design, or mathematical modeling.
- Proficiency with one or more of the following programming languages / tools: C, C++, Python, Fortran, MATLAB, SIMULINK.
- Experience with software configuration management and distributed software development efforts.
- Experience in technical writing and technical presentation.
- Graduate degree in engineering, science, mathematics, or STEM-related discipline from an accredited program. Relevant professional experience may be considered in lieu of a graduate degree.
- Experience in orbit mechanics/astrodynamics topics, such as constellation design, orbital propagation and perturbations, orbital maneuvers, launch vehicle and satellite operations, collision risk and debris analyses, rendezvous and proximity operations, or multi-body orbit dynamics.
- Experience in applied mathematical topics, such as optimization, game theory, statistical estimation, and numerical analysis.
- Experience in optimization techniques and their application to trajectory optimization and/or multi-objective optimization.
- Experience in operational spacecraft or launch operations.
- Prior space-related work experience for a U.S. government agency or contractor.
- Current TS/SCI security clearance.
Grade-Based Pay Range
(Min - Mid - Max)
$98,294 - $159,916 - $221,537
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide all the details of our industry-leading benefits and career development opportunities. A few highlights include:
- A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility and respect
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family
- Flextime and virtual work options (if applicable)
- 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, regardless of whether you contribute
- Paid holidays and paid time off
- Flexible spending accounts
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.