UX / UI Designer
Who we are
HopSkipDrive is the innovator in youth transportation, getting kids to their highest potential by removing mobility barriers, one ride at a time. We are the safe, dependable transportation solution schools and families rely on to get kids where they need to go. Through our proprietary technology and innovative safety measures, our platform provides transportation solutions for school districts and families across the country. In addition, we partner with county governments and non-profits to help ensure educational access for some of our most vulnerable youth. We understand that transportation can be the difference between success and struggle, which is why we’re on a mission to use technology, operational expertise, and new thinking to help kids reach their full potential by providing a safe, dependable way to get them where they are going.
From our founding, when 3 moms came together to develop HopSkipDrive as a solution to their challenges getting their own kids where they needed to go, we have continued to innovate and execute, growing to now serve more than 7 markets across the country. We have driven more than 5 million safe miles while getting 750,000+ kids to more than 6,000 schools. Backed by top tier VCs and strategic investors, and with more than $27M in funding, we’re reinventing youth transportation.
We are based in downtown LA. Our mission, our enormous market potential, our team and the technology challenges we are solving make HopSkipDrive one of LA’s Best Places to Work.
Who you are
You are an A+ player who is looking for a challenging and rewarding experience. You are inspired by the mission we are pursuing and by the opportunity to define a new category in an incredibly fast-moving market. You are excited to bring your best everyday, to learn from those around you and to push hard while contributing to our powerful vision of positively impacting kids’ lives everyday.
At HopSkipDrive, we know that to tackle our toughest challenges, we need different approaches, unique perspectives, and new ways of thinking. We are building a team of creative problem-solvers from many different backgrounds.
As the UX / UI Designer, you will be responsible for designing user experiences across all of our platforms, including: mobile apps, web apps and internal systems. You will work closely with product management and other business stakeholders to design the features and improvements on our roadmap, and collaborate with the engineering team to help get them built.
In addition, you will user feedback, perform user tests and qualitative assessments of how our products are being used. You will advocate for continually improving the usability and value of our products, and work to define a long-term vision of where HopSkipDrive’s user experiences should be heading.
You will have the necessary creative, collaborative and analytical skills to bring together diverse ideas from across the organization and user base and turn them into engaging, delightful and highly usable experiences for the HopSkipDrive Community. This position will be reporting to the Director of Product Management.
Your Primary Responsibilities & Qualifications
- Become the subject matter expert for our user experiences: CareDrivers, Parents and B2B Organizers across their entire user journey.
- Work closely with Product to visually define the features in our backlog and roadmap with sketches, user flows, diagrams, wireframes and pixel-perfect visual design comps.
- Collaborate with engineering to help your designs be built, by explaining the designs clearly, clarifying interactions, states and edge cases, and adjusting on the fly as needed during implementation.
- Develop a process for testing and validating our designs and UX, including prototyping, user testing, A/B testing, surveys and focus groups and work with product management to incorporate your ideas for improvement into the roadmap.
- Establish a solid understanding of our users and empathy for their needs, and develop provisional personas, user journeys and other materials in order to institutionalize and share this understanding.
- Maintain a consistent style guide and comprehensive and up-to-date set of designs for our customer facing apps.
- Be a champion for how good design can contribute to making HopSkipDrive better every day.
- 3+ years of web and mobile UX / UI design experience, ideally at a start-up or smaller organization where you’ve been responsible for designing new products and experiences.
- Expert in translating user stories and requirements into wireframes, storyboards.
- Expert in visual design using design tools such as Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop.
- Deep knowledge of web and mobile UI paradigms, awareness of when it’s appropriate to stick with convention, and when it’s justified to invent a novel approach.
- Experience designing responsive layouts.
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, mobile engineering are a plus.
- Experience interviewing customers and stakeholders to gather requirements.
- Experience with user testing, both in-person and online.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects in parallel.
- Honesty, integrity and a solid work ethic.
- Bachelor's Degree and / or Fine Arts degree.
What you will get
We want you to be an owner in our company and share in executing our vision, so every full-time employee has equity. In addition, we offer competitive market comp, BYOD technology reimbursement, unlimited vacation, FSA, medical, dental and vision, 401(k), weekly catered lunches, and an opportunity to work for a uniquely positioned, VC-backed company in a hugely attractive space with significant upside potential.