UX Lead at MotorTrend Group
Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, the MotorTrend Group is the largest automotive media company in the world. Launched with MotorTrend’s iconic magazine 70 years ago, the company now has a global reach that includes MotorTrend TV, the MotorTrend streaming service, MotorTrend.com, and Hot Rod magazine, with franchises that include MotorTrend Car of the Year, Roadkill, Wheeler Dealers, Best Driver’s Car and dozens more. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
UX lead (full-time, salaried, regular)
Essential duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
· Partnering with a cross-functional team of leaders (Product, Editorial, Design, Engineering, Marketing) in a highly collaborative environment to envision the future of digital products in the Automotive category.
· Establishing the overall creative direction through visual aesthetic, user interaction, animation, storytelling, tone, etc. for Home digital products across multiple platforms.
· Presenting and advocating for your ideas and solutions to senior leadership.
· Mentoring and leading a team of Product Designers with a range of skill sets (UX, UI, visual, animation, illustration, etc.) to create world-class digital experiences.
· Promoting core design principles consistently across the brands (e.g. simplicity, usability, etc.)
· Contributing to the planning, conducting, and synthesizing of user research and testing.
This position will include supervising one or more employees where applicable. Supervisory responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Provide consistent training, support, and mentorship to team.
· Review and approve individual timecards (as needed) and time-off requests to ensure optimal staffing levels.
· Effective, fair, and consistent performance management.
· Fairly and consistently ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
· 5+ years’ experience in a creative leadership role (all in digital).
· Experience creating products for a range of digital platforms: web, mobile, connected tv, and emerging platforms.
· Experience working in an agile environment with a cross-functional team.
· Experience managing design resources.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
· An exceptional portfolio of digital projects (shipped to market) that demonstrates your ability to elevate a brand through create comprehensive, joyful experiences.
· Ability to work within an existing brand universe.
· Experience with a range of sketch, wireframing and prototyping tools (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite, Invision, Sketch, Proto.io, whiteboards, and, pen and paper).
· Forward-thinking, imaginative, and willing to take risks with your work.
· A systematic thinker who sees the big picture (yet is still attentive to details).
· An energetic and natural leader, with a talent for relationship building.
· A strong and confident communicator (verbal, written, and visual).
· A proactive problem solver with excellent time management skills.
· Always empathetic with and advocating for the customer.
· Familiar with Product Discovery methods and collaborative frameworks.
· An expert in all facets of visual design (typography, grid, hierarchy of information, color, etc.).
· An expert in current visual design trends and best practices.
· Knowledgeable of UX best practices.
· Ready to roll up your sleeves and be hands-on.
· Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
· The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
· Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.