Join the award-winning team that created God of War
Do you have a passion for epic adventures set in unique locations, filled with intriguing characters? Is there a burning need within you to craft highly polished levels, filled with exciting events, featuring excellent pacing and flow?
As a Level Designer, you are a critical part of production on our quality-obsessed team. You are someone who brings excitement and energizes the cross discipline team around you. You have the talent and skills to make highly memorable levels, taking players on journey's that they'll talk about for years to come.
In the Level Designer role, you will collaborate with the Lead Level Designers and the Design Director on the following:
- Modeling 3D level design layout, illustrating 2D maps & diagrams, and writing design documentation.
- Crafting level flow that emphasizes Combat Encounters, Puzzles, Exploration, and Narrative.
- Building within established standards, conventions, and metrics that utilize the game systems and showcase their attributes.
- Working with feedback to improve the clarity, feel, and flow of gameplay within areas of ownership.
- Proposing and pitching level concepts to the project leadership team.
- Prototyping new levels and layouts.
- Implementing game scripting within a level.
- Carefully tailoring the flow and challenge of a level.
You bring to the position the following attributes,
- Proficiency with 3D Packages to layout environments (Preferably Maya).
- Experience with 2D Packages to create 2D maps and other visually oriented design materials (Preferably Illustrator, Photoshop, and PowerPoint).
- Can use text or visual scripting systems to implement gameplay and debug game logic.
- An effective communicator who is personable and flexible with their ideas.
- Able to track work load and task progress, communicating up-to-date status to the Leads and Production team.
- A desire to grow, learn, and improve as a designer.
- 2 plus years in game development, or equivalent experience showcased in a portfolio of work.
- 3 plus years in game development, with at least 1 year in a level design specific role.
- Full development cycle experience for at least 1 published triple-A title.
We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. We genuinely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in Santa Monica Studio.
Read Full Job Description