Tala is a financial technology company on a mission to enable and accelerate financial health for all. We use world-class technology to make financial services simple, inclusive, and accessible for the globally underestimated. More than 5 million people have borrowed through Tala’s smartphone app, which provides instant credit scoring, lending, education, and other personalized financial services in emerging markets.
Our users are savvy and want more than just access; they want beautiful and easy to use products. Our Design team is passionate about building these products for our customers around the world. The ideal candidate will be passionate about doing the same.
In this role you will build and lead a world-class design team and culture at Tala and drive the execution of a high-quality user experience for our Android-based financial services app. Your responsibilities will include managing a global design team as well as owning the end-to-end design for a key product vertical.
- Manage and develop a global team of product designers through regular 1:1s, performance reviews, and career planning
- Set and enforce clear goals, expectations, and standards for the Design Guild
- Deliver and ship features that meaningfully improve the end user experience for Tala’s global audience
- Partner with cross-functional leads from Product, Program, and Engineering to conduct resource planning, roadmap development, and OKR setting
- Continually promote Design Guild work across all levels of the organization to evangelize the value of design
- Own the development and evolution of the career growth rubric for the Design Guild
- Own the maintenance and evolution of Tala's Design System
- Drive initiatives to improve the Design Guild toolkit, processes, and operations to increase team efficiency and quality of output
- Partner with the People Operations team to build a talent pipeline and hiring process for Product Design
- 3+ years industry experience in a people management role on a Design team
- 5+ years industry experience as a UI/UX Product Designer
- Strong background designing B2C mobile products, with substantial Android experience
- Proven track record of building design teams, especially in growth-stage startups
- Ability to self-manage and keep projects moving forward against deadlines in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Experience building out and maintaining a Design System for complex mobile apps
- Experience managing distributed, cross-geography teams
- Experience working on cross-functional teams within Agile development cycles
- Digital finance experience, especially in context of developing markets preferred but not required
- Experience conducting cross-cultural user research and design preferred but not required
We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.