Lead Creative UI/UX Designer
What the job entails:
We're looking for our first Lead Creative UI/UX designer to work out of our offices in Los Angeles. You will be the design leader for Jumpcut, and will eventually grow to managing an entire design team. We're looking specifically for someone with at least 2 years of experience at a full time job (not contract work) doing UI/UX design for a popular consumer facing company. If you have experience only with enterprise products, this probably isn't the right role for you. :)
Many startups believe that amazing UI/UX is a “nice to have”. For us, it’s a “need to have”. At first glance, our mission to create the world’s best online courses seems like it revolves around course content and production quality. But in reality, that’s just the beginning. In order to truly set our students up for success, we believe we need to utilize UI/UX as a huge role in our students’ learning process. That’s where you come in.
Jumpcut is a Y Combinator company, and went through the startup accelerator in summer 2016. We've raised around $2M to date in venture funding, and are currently profitable. We create cinematic online courses with some of the world’s biggest influencers. Our founding team has years of experience creating binge-worthy content -- and now we are on a mission to interrupt the online education industry by creating courses for the modern world that are as addictive as your favorite TV show.
We’re looking for a lead designer. You have to love taking creative risks, and have a thoughtful approach to both UI and UX. Your goals will be twofold: how can you best improve our students’ learning experience, and how can you do so in a magnificently beautiful way?
What you’ll do:
- Improve conversion rates of final sales by 10% by improving the design of opt-in pages, landing pages, home pages, etc.
- Improve our students’ learning experience by creating/iterating on platform features dedicated to student success.
- Create aesthetically beautiful assets for our platform, including: thumbnails, banners, product images, worksheets, etc.
You’ll be a good fit if:
- You value thorough research. This includes (but isn’t limited to) competitor research, user interviews, and usability testing. You also understand that at times the best inspiration can be drawn from the most unlikely places.
- You constantly notice & appreciate great design. It doesn’t matter if you’re walking down the aisle in a grocery store or passing time on Dribbble. You’re able to spot and appreciate well crafted color palettes and delightful aesthetics.
- You believe that UX is not an afterthought to UI. Everything at Jumpcut revolves around our students -- that means we don’t implement designs just because they’re beautiful, but because they’re functional as well.
- Design risks don’t scare you. In order to truly be innovative, we believe you have to be comfortable taking design risks frequently. We’re looking for a designer that isn’t afraid to try something truly unconventional in an effort to help our students learn.
What we’re looking for:
- Expert level proficiency with programs equivalent to: Adobe PS, Illustrator, Sketch, Figma, etc.
- Experience working with a front-end developer to implement your designs.
- Experience working on designs for a consumer-facing site where millions of people have seen your work.
- 2+ years of experience with UI/UX and/or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- A portfolio that demonstrates your ability to craft delightful UI and UX.
Benefits, Perks, and Compensation:
We’ve got some pretty sweet digs; catered meals, unlimited PTO, and a full suite of benefits never hurt either. Check out jumpcut.com/about for more information and to meet the team!
Compensation is competitive, and dependent on experience: $110K-130K Annually.