Environment Artist (Contract)
Join our award-winning God of War team
This is an opportunity to contribute to the artistic vision and development of a product with a specialized focus on creating environments and level assets.
As an Environment Artist, you will effectively collaborate with a wide range of development team members outside of your direct discipline, such as the Art Director, Art Leads, Designers, Technical Artists, Animators, Programmers and Producers, to optimally achieve artistic goals and implementation as they relate to design and technological considerations.
- Creates content, including 3D modeling/sculpting, 2D texture map painting, material setup/UV layout, and LOD creation according to defined quality standards, artistic styles, conceptual designs, development pipelines, technical parameters, and production goals.
- Works closely with the Art Director, Art Lead, Environment Artists, and Concept Artists to create environments that work aesthetically and represent concept work and artistic vision.
- Skilled in level art workflow, including assembly, set dressing, and asset composition across levels.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop a comprehensive knowledge of the art production pipeline and all engine features, tools, and systems associated with the creation of art assets.
- Maintains the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring environment/level assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- Maintains a strong knowledge of the game's design to support communication and enable early identification of issues, as well as help drive participation in discussions.
- Facilitates requests or info needs regarding any aspect of the environment/level art creation process as needed.
- Actively improves skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possesses strong time management and prioritization skills. Entails collaborating with Production group to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing in alignment with schedules, milestones and overall project goals.
- Clearly communicates updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s).
- Minimum of three years' industry experience or related experience.
- Strong traditional fine art skills, training, and production experience (illustration, painting, organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design.).
- Proficient in the use of Maya, (or 3D modeling package) Zbrush, and Substance Designer and Painter.
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture painting, particle systems, UV layout, in-game animation, material setup, layout, SFX and engine parameters/optimizations.
- Previous or next-gen video game platform experience.
- Good communication, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
- Works under minimal direction to determine and develop an approach to solutions.
- A Bachelor's in fine arts or relevant curriculum or equivalent skill set.
- Having firsthand experience on one or more published titles is a plus.
We value talent, self-motivation, and team spirit. In turn, we provide an environment with a large degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond. We genuinely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in Santa Monica Studio.
Read Full Job Description