About This Role
At Apeel Sciences, we look to nature to help the global food system improve quality, reduce waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet. The marketing team is responsible for establishing the Apeel brand on the national and global levels. We are looking for a seasoned and visionary Creative Director to help build, scale, and lead our creative team stewarding our brand voice and visual identity across a wide range of channels and cultures. Our Creative Director should have an accomplished background in copywriting. This role will report directly to the Global VP of Brand & Marketing.
This is a position that requires strong leadership, collaboration, organizational, and communication skills, as well as a humble ambition to develop Apeel into one of the most trusted and loved brands. You will steward the creative expression of the Apeel brand through multiple touchpoints, and focus on creating meaningful engagements between our brand, our global partners and a rapidly growing community.
You will be connected to every department in the company as well as to outside agencies and creatives, and together with these partners, will develop concrete, creative solutions to sometimes first of their kind challenges or vital global problems.
You are self-motivated and feel comfortable working with creatives throughout a work in progress process, while being able to effectively communicate with non-creatives. You’re collaborative in approach, empathetic in nature, and a highly resourceful and inventive thinker--from resource + tool ecosystem planning, to nimble freelance pool sourcing and creative assignment management, to project resource tracking and dashboarding. You will need to be a strong leader and mentor.
In this role, you’ll be expected to work closely with other external creative partners and advertising agencies to develop concepts, define project teams, review and direct work, and establish processes. This role requires a strategic storytelling sensibility and deep understanding of the right creative / production talent required to execute the project at hand.
To develop the Apeel brand and all of our future marketing initiatives, you are motivated by the opportunity to mobilize a new kind of consumerism that works with nature.
We are not alarmists or pessimistic, we are natural problem solvers. We are curious and conscious people who make informed decisions. We are high-tech yet heartfelt. The status we seek is not the status quo.
Our team exists to create the conditions and concepts that accelerate adoption, affection and advocacy for Apeel around the world.
What You’ll Do
- Manage and inspire the creative team and develop dynamic marketing deliverables for both internal clients and B2C/B2B integrated campaigns
- Lead the development of creative strategy and original design concepts, and foster an environment of creating ideas, listening, and clearing barriers of communication
- Build and manage cross-functional and internal client relationships to unify brand identity, awareness, messaging and storytelling
- Work alongside other teams in Marketing to push the creative expression of our brand to new levels of excellence
- Define and shape all Creative best practices and production
- Liaison with outside agencies and freelancers and manage their key projects internally, keeping an eye on design, vision and strategy
- Lead in every sense, representing Apeel’s values, culture and mission; Attract similar best-in-breed creative talent
- Ability to sell big ideas to stakeholders and motivate audiences internally and externally
- Develop relationships with all members of the creative team to have an intimate knowledge of their capabilities and motivations in order to best match their skills with the project requirement, keeping long-term growth in mind.
- Build nimble pools of creative production talent and connect the right freelancers (and their unique set of skills and talents) with the needs of a team, understanding the nuanced talents and contributions necessary to facilitate world-class creative.
- Work with the Director of Brand Strategy to ensure projects are brought in with proper project briefs and intake requirements and are vetted through our process prior to resource confirmation.
- Strategic planning and development of new production approaches which promote agility and flexibility.
- Maintain a high level of flexibility, diplomacy, level-headedness and resilience in a fast-moving challenging environment.
What You Bring
- 10+ years of experience in marketing as a creative leader for new technologies within food technology, CPG, purpose-driven industry or digital agency environment
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications or Design is preferred
- Proven knowledge in brand strategy and expression, interactive and experiential design, and various channels in digital marketing
- Phenomenal experience leading global brands with local nuances and cultural relevance
- Ability to oversee all creative direction all marketing projects including content and materials for all social posts
- Able to deftly navigate ambiguous situations, identify problems, prioritize needs, and proactively find creative solutions.
- Inherent ability to stay calm under pressure, problem-solve better than anyone, and have incredible interpersonal skills.
- Know what it takes to understand and match the creative tasks with the best possible talent.
- A deep understanding of creative workflow, skill sets, and synergies. You are able to understand complex briefs and project requirements in addition to recognizing the potential risks and dependencies relevant to staffing that work.
- Comfortable prototyping throughout creative development to test out ideas. The process of creating, iterating, improving, and starting over should feel natural. Must be flexible trying things that haven’t been done before.
- Collaborative in approach, empathetic in nature, and steadfast in intention.
- Possesses the drive to make the best work possible with the resources available, with an ability to prioritize and know when to push back if the team can’t be successful.
- Ensure that deliverables adhere to strategic brief, Apeel vision and intention.
- Effective written communication and presentation skills with the ability to contribute to editorial projects during the design process
- Excellent creative leadership as well as a key team player
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.