Creative Designer and Brand Storyteller
Want to be part of an exciting startup that is having a positive impact on the world?
Lumos is the world's first smart bicycle helmet with integrated lights, brake, and turn signals. Launched to the world on Kickstarter in 2015, Lumos raised over $800,000 in its campaign. It has been featured on Forbes, Fast Company, The BBC, and CNN.
Lumos is the first and only helmet of any kind to be sold at the Apple Store, and is currently on sale in over 300 Apple Stores in the US, Canada, Europe, and Australia.
Lumos has been named one of Oprah’s Favorite Things, TIME Magazine’s “Best Inventions of 2018”, and “The Helmet That Every Bike Commuter Needs” by Slate Magazine.
Lumos is a mission-driven company. Started out of our dorm rooms at Harvard, we seek to make a positive impact on the world by helping make cycling safer, preventing avoidable traffic deaths, and helping more people everywhere make cycling a bigger part of their everyday lives.
Join us in our mission to improve cycling safety and have safer streets for all.
You are perfect for us if you are:
An experienced brand manager or visual designer. You are passionate about telling great stories, and have a great visual aesthetic. You are looking for an opportunity to be an influential part of a small team and build an exciting new consumer brand from the ground up.
Where you will be in a year:
- Helped set the creative vision of our brand - Working closely with the team and founders of the company, you will help crystalize our story into a coherent and compelling vision. Your voice will have played a major part into the setting and execution of that strategy, and that vision.
- Seen your ideas and concepts come to life in the real world - Not only will you have been part of the early brainstorm process but you will quickly see your work out in the real world and the impact it is having on people and the business.
- Helped launch new products into the market - Lumos is rapidly expanding, and we have several new and exciting products that we taking to market. You will play a major role in introducing these products to the world.
We've built a great product that has a strong following, great PR, and that literally saves lives. As a team, we've been traditionally heavily focused on the product and engineering side of things, and now we really want to do a better job telling our own story better. We need a Creative Designer and Brand Storyteller to help us articulate the essence of our story, purpose, mission, and message, and tell it to the world in a simple but compelling way.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Identifying the essence of our story, purpose, and mission.
- Develop that into concrete brand guidelines
- Execute and implement those guidelines across all our mediums (website, product packaging, social media, customer service etc.)
- Support the launch of new products
Lumos has been around for a few years now, but we are still very much a young early stage company. As such, a high degree of adaptability, independence, and initiative is expected and required to do well at Lumos.
We are constantly learning new things and adapting our strategy and activities accordingly. As such, JDs are looked at more as a guideline at Lumos. We eschew roles and seek people willing and able to go beyond the JD when necessary to fix the problem and get the job done regardless of our “jobs”.
- 2 – 5 years of professional experience as a brand manager or designer at a consumer brand, agency, or startup.
- Excellent sense of visual aesthetic.
- Highly competent in range of visual tools such as Adobe Creative Suite. Skill in any front-end web technologies a plus.
- Any background, skill, or personal passion for photo or videography a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experienced being a bike commuter in an American or European city at some point in their life. Passion for biking, skateboarding, or snowboarding a huge plus.
- Highly independent and balanced between being a “thinker-planner” and “doer”. You are a creative strategic thinker able to develop ideas for marketing strategies and campaigns, and can also get your hands dirty to get things done yourself.
- Interest in startups, entrepreneurship, and building things from the ground up