Art Director at Who What Wear
Named to Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies list in 2017, Digiday's Most Innovative Publisher in 2018, and Comparably’s Best Companies for Company Culture in 2019 – Who What Wear is looking to hire a highly creative, inspired and detailed-oriented Art Director to join their talented team of creative experts.
The Art Director will support the Creative Team in developing the overall strategy for art content and produce, brand-defining visuals for editorial, marketing and branded content with a primary focus on fashion and beauty. In addition, you will lead a team of designers and provide artistic direction, coaching and development while keeping on-going process improvement top of mind. The ideal candidate is an excellent ideator and can bring concepts to life succinctly; understanding of brand identity, market trends, typography and color theory are a must! As the Art Director, you will ensure consistency with Who What Wear’s aesthetic and brand messaging. You will have the natural ability to work diplomatically across many teams and foster productive relationships with other creative stakeholders outside of the department. This role is based in Los Angeles and reports to the Associate Creative Director.
- Assist the Creative Director with all art related projects by translating business goals into aspirational and beautiful design
- Own, concept, create, design and drive process; curate and produce compelling original assets in collaboration with key cross-functional partners throughout the company
- Lead a design team in all aspects of the day to day in addition to their overall growth and development; communicate conceptual ideas and design/photography rationale, both verbally and visually to the teams
- Present well-developed and strategic creative solutions to meet brand objectives with impactful presentations
- Attend team brainstorms and other meetings to ensure all client information is executed by the design team in a fast-paced deadline driven environment
- Create high-impact mock ups, banners ads, native stories, etc.
- Collaborate with Creative Director and Production team to concept and deliver custom shoots and video projects, including developing mood boards and story boards
- Provide on-set creative direction for custom photo/video shoots
- Review photographer selects and make recommendations for imagery for all post-sale work incorporating imagery and video from custom shoots
- Stay abreast of industry trends, best practices and other information beneficial to growing and developing the team and the Who What Wear aesthetic
- Bachelor’s Degree with 6+ years of industry experience, preferably in fashion & beauty
- Highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite with expert understanding of digital and interactive design
- Expert typography skills with elevated level of taste and ability to apply modern design aesthetics across projects of varied styles
- Highly skilled in leading a team of creative talent and delegating responsibilities.
- Excellent interpersonal, time & project management, presentation, leadership and communication skills
- Ability to work calmly under pressure, and meet tight deadlines with a strong sense of accountability
- Detail-oriented, self-starter who possesses the ability to create original graphics/concepts
- Familiar with Who What Wear’s editorial voice, aesthetic and style sensibilities
More about Who What Wear:
Who What Wear is an international fashion company known for its content sites—whowhatwear.com and whowhatwear.co.uk—and its affordable, size-inclusive, and trend-forward line of clothing and accessories. The brand was founded in 2006 by Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power and includes the chart-topping career podcast, Second Life, which is hosted by Kerr. Most recently, Who What Wear launched a sister company, Versed, which is a clean skincare line with 19 products all under $20. Headquartered in Los Angeles, Who What Wear also has offices in New York City, London, and Minneapolis, and has Amazon, Greycroft Partners, BDMI, WndrCo, and others as key investors.
Who What Wear is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Who What Wear believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as an international company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.