Sr. Data Scientist at NEXT Trucking
Headquartered in “Silicon Beach” El Segundo, CA -- NEXT is a company driven by a commitment to providing world-class service to shippers and truckers alike. We’re on a mission to solve a trillion-dollar puzzle and offer painless freight.
Armed with experienced professionals from Amazon, Google, Facebook, Snap, and Salesforce, NEXT is seeking change agents who are excited to make a meaningful impact on an industry driving the U.S. economy. Forbes included us on its 2019 Next Billion-Dollar Startups list, and we’ve been recognized as one of Built in LA’s Best Small Companies to Work For and 50 Startups to Watch. NEXT is venture-backed by leaders such as Brookfield Ventures, GLP and Sequoia Capital.
We are passionate entrepreneurs, creative thinkers, and decision-makers who will transform the freight transportation industry with modern technology. We create delightful product experiences that enables freight to move effortlessly, solving complex problems for our shippers and carriers. We collaborate with some of the best designers, engineers, and business partners to achieve our goals.
Are you NEXT?
About The Role:
Our Data Science function is composed of Data Science team, Data Science Engineering team, and Data Science Analytics team. As a central and mission critical function in the company, we are tightly integrated with Engineering, Product, and Business functions. We primarily help build “intelligent” products for our internal and external stakeholders in addition to providing internal consulting services to our business partners and executives. As part of our Data Science function, the Data Science team primarily focuses on conducting and applying cutting-edge research to invent the future of intelligent transportation, uplevel the freight industry, and raise the bar on data science innovation and capabilities.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will formulate new product features and enable new business capabilities by enhancing the underlying computational engine that powers the NEXT freight platform and marketplace. You will play a pivotal role in scaling, optimizing, and instrumenting a real-time, complex dynamic system of software and virtualized real-world assets (trucks, drivers, freight, warehouses, yards, port terminals, etc.) through a period of exponential growth. Based on your strengths and interests, you will have the opportunity to own and evolve your career in a broad spectrum of areas such as Forecasting & Econometrics, Pricing & Auctions, Transportation & Routing, Inventory & Capacity Management, Logistics & Supply Chain Optimization, Experiment Design & Recommendation Systems, Growth & Product Analytics, and Personalization & Marketing Science, to name a few.
What You'll Do:
- Partner with internal stakeholders to identify business problems and articulate Data Science opportunities to apply statistics, machine learning, optimization, and/or simulation. See beyond the data to propose and build state-of-the-art solutions that will raise the bar for optimal decision making.
- Apply your expertise in Data Science to research and develop statistical models, machine learning models, optimization models, and/or simulation models for inventing and expanding Data Science capabilities across all the business functions.
- Partner with the Data Science Engineering team in implementing and productionalizing your models and methodologies, and in continually improving a data pipeline and data warehouse.
- Instrument the product, engineering, and business ecosystem by building analytical descriptive models and statistical predictive models to support and improve business decision making. Coach and support individuals across the organizations to evangelize a decentralized culture of data-driven decision making throughout the company.
- Partner with product managers and product designers in synthesizing and prioritizing a product roadmap.
- Mentor other Data Scientists and engineers as needed on best practices for the design and implementation of cutting-edge solutions.
- Contribute to the Data Science roadmap as a thought leader to shape next-gen Data Science solutions.
What You'll Have:
- Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Quantitative Finance, Statistics, Applied Math, Physics or a related Engineering Ph.D. degree.
- 5+ years of Data Science (and related) experience in building models and developing algorithms for machine learning, statistics, mathematical programming, and/or simulation in fast-paced tech companies.
- 5+ years of experience in analyzing large-scale structured and unstructured data using R or Python.
- 5+ years of experience in SQL and data modeling.
- Rich understanding of best practices in Data Science, Machine Learning and Deep Learning, and Statistical methods and applications. Solid understanding of popular Data Science tools and libraries.
- Strong communication skills to present effectively and to explain algorithms and insights to major non-technical stakeholders, including senior executives, board members, and large customers/partners.
- Collaborative team player.
- Proven track record of Data Science related innovation in the form of peer-reviewed publications, patents and/or awards.
Nice to Have:
- Familiarity with application development life-cycle.
- Experience in object-oriented design and development (e.g. C++ or Java).
- Experience in data engineering.
- Experience in working with or in support of a diverse set of business functions.
- Experience in transportation, logistics, and supply chain industries.
- Experience in venture-backed startups or other hyper-growth environments.
What You'll Receive:
- Competitive Base Salary + Bonus + Equity
- Full Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401k w/company match
- Vacation and holidays
- Fun perks: open office, dog-friendly, unlimited snacks, and monthly catered lunches!
- Join a rapidly growing technology company disrupting the trucking industry