Scientist, QC at Apeel Sciences
About This Role
Apeel Sciences is seeking a motivated and resourceful Analytical Scientist to support manufacturing and production of Edipeel. This position will require analysis of samples generated at various stages in the process using a variety of chromatographic and spectroscopic techniques. As the manufacturing process is scaled up, this person will be required to provide analytical support, which will include non-routine analysis and identification of unknowns. Troubleshooting and problem solving will be fundamental skills required of this position.
In addition to analyzing, interpreting, and communicating results to other team members, this person will be required to generate formal test methods, reports, and standard operating procedures. This position would be most suitable to an individual who enjoys a creative, collaborative environment and spending time in the lab.
What You’ll Do
- Perform analysis of samples using various laboratory equipment and techniques such as, but not limited to:
- Liquid chromatography (LC)
- Gas chromatography (GC)
- ICP (Inductively coupled plasma) spectrometry
- FT-IR (Fourier transform infrared) spectroscopy
- Moisture analysis by Karl Fischer
- Operate and maintain or repair LC and GC systems in order to develop methods, validate methods, calibrate equipment, and analyze various types of samples
- Author, edit, and improve technical reports or other technical documentation
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations
- Maintain an accurate, thorough, and neat laboratory notebook and complete compliance paperwork in alignment with Good Laboratory Practices (GLPs) and Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs)
- Understand company production schedules to independently determine testing priorities
- Interface with interdepartmental representatives to communicate sample status and updates/delays
- Pursue ongoing technical and professional development to further develop your knowledge and skills as a scientist (via, for example, independent reading and studying, workshop attendance, etc.)
- Establish and maintain clear, open, and timely lines of communication within your team and across teams to promote team engagement, effectiveness, and efficiency, and to help the organization meet its objectives
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or other relevant technical field of study
- 3-5 years of experience in a highly regulated setting or industry preferred, but candidates with additional experience in a research setting or strong new graduates would be strongly considered
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to self-direct without heavy oversight
- Practical knowledge and skills in method validation, trouble shooting, and preventive maintenance in GC and HPLC/UHPLC are strongly preferred
- Knowledge of or experience with a variety of other analytical techniques such as spectroscopy (FTIR, NIR) and titrations would be a strong asset
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and G Suite software is required
- Experience with other software platforms (e.g., LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System); project management software; etc.) will be strongly considered
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.