Principal Data Scientist, Research
Greater LA Area
Headquartered in “Silicon Beach” El Segundo, CA -- NEXT is a company driven by a commitment to providing world-class service to shippers and truckers alike. We’re on a mission to solve a trillion-dollar puzzle and offer painless freight.
Armed with experienced professionals from Amazon, Google, Facebook, Snap, and Salesforce, NEXT is seeking change agents who are excited to make a meaningful impact on an industry driving the U.S. economy. Forbes included us on its 2019 Next Billion-Dollar Startups list, and we’ve been recognized as one of Built in LA’s Best Small Companies to Work For and 50 Startups to Watch. NEXT is venture-backed by leaders such as Brookfield Ventures, GLP and Sequoia Capital.
We are passionate entrepreneurs, creative thinkers, and decision-makers who will transform the freight transportation industry with modern technology. We create delightful product experiences that enables freight to move effortlessly, solving complex problems for our shippers and carriers. We collaborate with some of the best designers, engineers, and business partners to achieve our goals.
Are you NEXT
About The Role:
Our Data Science function is composed of Data Science Research team, Data Science Engineering team, and Data Science Analytics team. As a central and mission critical function in the company, we are tightly integrated with the Engineering, Product, and Business functions. We primarily help build “intelligent” products for our internal and external stakeholders in addition to providing internal consulting services to our business partners and executives. As part of our Data Science function, the Data Science Research team primarily focuses on conducting and applying cutting-edge research to invent the future of intelligent transportation, uplevel the freight industry, and raise the bar on data science innovation and capabilities.
As a Principal Data Scientist in our Data Science Research team, you will formulate new product features and enable new business capabilities by enhancing the underlying computational engine that powers the NEXT freight platform and marketplace. You will play a pivotal role in scaling, optimizing, and instrumenting a real-time, complex dynamic system of software and virtualized real-world assets (trucks, drivers, freight, warehouses, yards, port terminals, etc.) through a period of exponential growth. As part of our team of research scientists, you will help shape our next-gen solutions by applying a combination of Data Science and Operations Research techniques to build cutting-edge models and algorithms. Based on your strengths and interests, you will have the opportunity to own and evolve your career in a broad spectrum of areas such as Forecasting & Econometrics, Pricing & Auctions, Transportation & Routing, Inventory & Capacity Management, Logistics & Supply Chain Optimization, Experiment Design & Recommendation Systems, Growth & Product Analytics, and Personalization & Marketing Science, to name a few.
What You'll Do
- Partner with internal stakeholders on business initiatives to identify and articulate opportunities for applying Data Science. See beyond the data to propose and build solutions that will raise the bar for decision making.
- Partner with product managers and product designers in synthesizing and prioritizing a product roadmap.
- Instrument the product, engineering, and business ecosystem by building descriptive and predictive models. Coach and support individuals across the organizations to evangelize a decentralized culture of data-driven decision making throughout the company.
- Apply your expertise in Data Science and Operations Research to build statistical models, machine learning models, optimization models, and/or simulation models.
- Partner with the Data Science Engineering team in implementing and productionalizing your models, and in continually improving a data pipeline and data warehouse.
- Mentor other Data Scientists and engineers as needed on best practices for the design and implementation of cutting-edge solutions.
- Drive the Data Science Research roadmap as a thought leader to shape next-gen Data Science solutions.
- Contribute visible industry thought leadership through blogging, speaking at conferences, etc.
What You'll Have
- Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Operations Research, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Quantitative Finance, Statistics, Applied Math, Physics or a related Engineering Ph.D. degree.
- 10+ years of Data Science (and related) experience in building models and developing algorithms for machine learning, statistics, mathematical programming and simulation in fast-paced tech companies.
- 5+ years of experience in analyzing large-scale structured and unstructured data using R or Python.
- 5+ years of experience in SQL and data modeling.
- Rich understanding of best practices in Data Science, Machine Learning and Deep Learning, Operations Research, and analytical methods and applications.
- Solid understanding of popular Data Science tools and libraries.
- Strong communication skills to present effectively and to explain algorithms and insights to major non-technical stakeholders, including senior executives, board members, and large customers/partners.
- Collaborative team player.
- Proven track record of Data Science related innovation in the form of peer-reviewed publications, patents and/or awards.s.
- Familiarity with application development life-cycle.
- Experience in object-oriented design and development (e.g. C++ or Java).
- Experience in data engineering.
- Experience in working with or in support of a diverse set of business functions.
- Experience in transportation, logistics, and supply chain industries.
- Experience in venture-backed startups or other hyper-growth environments.
- Corporate leadership experience with the ability to contribute meaningfully to strategic conversations and executive decisions spanning multiple functions.
Nice To Have:
What You'll Receive
- Competitive Base Salary + Bonus + Equity
- Full Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401k w/company match
- Vacation and holidays
- Fun perks: open office, dog-friendly, unlimited snacks, and monthly catered lunches!
- Join a rapidly growing technology company disrupting the trucking industry
NEXT is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by emailing [email protected]
To all recruitment agencies: NEXT does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, NEXT employees or any other organization location. NEXT is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description