Machine Learning Engineer at Postmates Inc.
Postmates runs one of the largest marketplaces in the country, connecting consumers, merchants, and Postmates in real-time. Building high powered intelligence atop our large-scale dataset is a serious challenge and we are looking for candidates who are ready to dig in. Postmates isn’t just another ad platform or mobile app for delivering static user generated content: We have real customers paying real money for a real service, all on-demand.
We are looking for talented Machine Learning Engineers to join our fast-growing Engineering team. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to work on various challenging machine learning and optimization problems in real-time and in scale, including:
- Modeling and forecasting demand and supply to enable more intelligent matching, optimize the overall marketplace efficiency and provide valuable insights to our merchants and Postmates
- Large scale Machine Learning algorithms and infrastructure that powers our Search Ranking models and Personalized Recommendation Engine
- Predicting the Postmate Delivery Time (PDT) and improving the efficiency (batching, chaining, etc) and reliability of the dispatching algorithm
- Determining the optimal pricing strategies to help our Postmates maximize their revenue
- Identifying suspicious transactions and malicious users for risk control
- Natural Language Processing to understand text content on Postmates platform, including named entity resolution and recognization of reviews, descriptions and interactions between users on our marketplace
- Build end-to-end ML systems of designing, training, testing and deploying Machine Learning models
- Write production-level codes to train your ML models into working pipelines and services to serve production online traffic
- Have the ability to apply machine learning to solve complex business problems and optimize critical business metrics, and work closely with Product Managers and Data analysts to frame Machine Learning problems within the business context
- Analyze experimental and observational data, communicate findings, and facilitate launch decisions
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical field
- Solid engineering and coding skills. Ability to write high-performance production quality code. Experience in Java, C++, Go, Python, Scala and other equivalent languages is a plus. Industry experience building and productionizing innovative end-to-end Machine Learning systems is a plus.
- Good understanding of common families of machine learning models, feature engineering, feature selection and other practical machine learning issues, such as overfitting.
- Experience with MapReduce, Spark, Hive, HBase, Airflow, Google BigQuery, BigTable, Dataflow is a plus. Experience ML frameworks like Tensorflow, PyTorch, Spark MLlib, XGBoost, and Scikit-Learn is a plus.
- Strong communication skills. Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, data analysts, and other engineers shouldn’t be a problem for you.
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Whatever equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- Catered lunches
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Awesome office located in SOMA District just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans