Raya is looking for a lead level ETL/ML engineer with strong data scientist fundamentals. You are excited to build our ETL pipeline, work on ML algorithms, and help us glean insights to help drive better product decision making. You like to answer broad open questions like "what caused the spike in membership growth this week and you are excited when you need to program something new to find that out.
In a world where many social apps measure their success by time spent online, Raya is a technology company focused on providing utility. Our iOS only app is a tool for discovery of and access to exciting people, events, opportunities and recommendations globally. Raya’s team includes the 3rd designer of Facebook, one of the first 10 engineers at Venmo, the PM who launched the like button, the engineer who founded Flipagram and one of Twitter’s great managers. We believe that by marrying great software with a membership based community built around core values of trust, creativity, and reciprocity, we can provide solutions that have heretofore been impossible.
The ideal candidate will have had 3 or 4 years of experience at at least one company and grown within the organization, demonstrating both loyalty and leadership. You will join the data science team at the very early stages of the company as our first data scientist and will have all the excitement and accountability that comes from joining a fast growing, well funded, Los Angeles startup (we think it's the best opportunity in LA - check our why us page). Raya’s team includes the 3rd designer of Facebook, one of the first 10 engineers at Venmo, the PM who launched the like button, the engineer who founded Flipagram and a lot of other amazing people. We prioritize learning and teamwork and love giving people the opportunity to champion big challenges and grow into better versions of themselves.
- Degree in quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
- 2 years of experience working in a data science, product manager, data engineer, or data analyst working on recommendations, relationships, or connecting people to one another at a scaled consumer social app that has daily engagement levels (dating, gaming, social media)
- Good loyalty: 3+ years at most of their roles and a promotion at at least one
- Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
- Excellent capability working and manipulating data and developing software application in programming languages such as Python
- Excellent programmer, loves to program, is excited to build ETL pipeline and then operate on what you've built.
- Good communication skills with both technical and business people
- Experience designing/implementing machine learning algorithms tailored to particular business needs and tested on large datasets
- Experience in data mining and using databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets.
- Strong SQL and NoSQL foundations
- Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
Read Full Job Description