Director, Database & Data Engineering at BlackLine
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing!
At Blackline, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications.
Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance.
Being a best-in-class SaaS Company, we understand that bringing in new ideas and innovative technology is mission critical. At BlackLine we are always working with new, cutting-edge technology that encourages our teams to learn something new and expand their creativity and technical skillset that will accelerate their careers.
Work, Play and Grow at BlackLine!
Roles and Responsibility (list in order of importance)
As Director of Data Engineering, you will be responsible for driving forward the vision, architecture, design, and implementation of BlackLine high-volume transactional databases, OLTP modeling, database optimizations & tuning, and data platform to support our large scale, cloud-based, SaaS web and mobile applications. The data platform spans across Big Data, Streaming, Reporting and Analytics. The data management includes large scale customer data ingestion, transactional data, master data and data warehousing.
You’ll lead, inspire, and grow talented individuals while working closely with Developers, Architects, Product Managers and Operations. The ideal candidate will have strong data infrastructure and data architecture skills, a proven track record of leading and scaling data teams, strong operational skills to drive efficiency and speed, solid project management leadership, and a strong vision for how Data Engineering can scale a global SaaS platform.
If you don't just see management as the next logical step, but are a passionate, driven technical leader, then you can be a great fit for our team. Responsibilities include:
- Overseeing design, development, and operations of high-performance, massively scalable, always-available Cloud-based data platform to support BlackLine SaaS.
- Creating a unified architecture for batch, real time and streaming data ingestion, transformation, cleansing, enrichment, transaction processing, reporting and analytics.
- Developing inherently secure, reliable, scalable, and modular access to Data.
- Driving visibility on key data engineering performance, throughput, availability, and customer satisfaction metrics
- Continually improving data platform architecture, data modeling and data governance to match the growth of the business.
- Leading, inspiring, and growing a globally distributed team of talented engineers while aligning tightly with architects, software engineers, product managers, and operations.
- Defining and driving a unifying vision for teams and their projects, processes, workflows, and related areas through motivation, consensus building and leading change.
- Planning and managing timely delivery of high-quality releases while keeping the stakeholders informed.
- Contributing to design reviews, code reviews and hands-on work in your respective domain.
- On call for handling production releases and incidents, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's or master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 8+ years of experience in engineering, and cutting-edge product development.
- Experience in managing managers, with at least 4 years of experience managing geographically distributed teams of data engineers and software engineers.
- Experience leading in a highly cross-functional environment in collaboration with Engineering, Product Management, Operations and Architects.
- Strong knowledge of relational database systems (especially PostgreSQL and SQL server), schema design, information architecture, internal objects, database optimization and turning..
- Advanced understanding of OLTP and OLAP environments for high volume transactions.
- Experience in designing data models using techniques such as 3NF, object-relational, entity-relationship, or dimensional modeling.
- Strong hands-on experience in technology leadership of conceptualizing, building, and enhancing large scale, secure, reliable data platforms using Hadoop, Spark, Flink, Airflow, Delta Lake, HUDI, Presto, Druid, Big Query, and Kafka.
- Previous work-experience in using managed database services, such as, RDS, CloudSQL or Azure SQL/Postgres.
- Deep knowledge around problems and solutions for highly scalable distributed systems, storage, transactions, and query processing.
- Ability to look “under the hood” to find bottlenecks in the design/architecture and innovate.
- Exceptional communication and people skills, with a passion for product excellence, talent development, and mentoring.
- Strong experience in Agile methodology, processes, and best practices, including Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD).
- Recent experience working with monitoring, troubleshooting, and tuning across all layers of a modern SaaS, N-Tier, web-based application
- Strong understanding of business management, financial, and leadership principles.
- Committed to providing exceptional service to customers and support to staff members.
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform
- Knowledge of XML, JSON, YAML, and AVRO data formats
- FinTech or Financial services domain background.
Thrive at BlackLine Because You Are Joining:
- A technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Just bring your brains, your problem-solving skills, and be part of a winning team at the world's most trusted name in Finance Automation!
- A culture that is kind, open, and accepting. It’s a place where people can embrace what makes them unique, and the mix of cultural backgrounds and varying interests cultivates diverse thought and perspectives.
- A company that believes in providing the best possible service to its clients, and that starts with offering amazing perks to its employees. These perks include comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental, and vision, 401(k) matching, flexible time off, paid parental leave, ESPP, food, drinks, games, and so much more!
- A culture where BlackLiners’ continued growth and learning is empowered. BlackLine offers a wide variety of professional development seminars and inclusive affinity groups to celebrate and support our diversity.
BlackLine is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, race, age, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, ancestry, color, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, medical condition, genetic information, or any other protected class or category recognized by applicable equal employment opportunity or other similar laws.
Work is primarily sedentary in nature; no special demands required.