Dave is a banking app on a mission to create financial opportunity that advances America’s collective potential. Dave's financial tools, including its debit card and spending account, help its more than 10 million customers bank, budget, avoid overdraft fees, find work and build credit.
Dave is a virtual-first company, which means there is no preference on where team members get their work done. Employees are able to live anywhere in the United States, with the only exception of Hawaii for now. For those who want to work in an office setting on a more regular basis, we will eventually open offices in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Dave is backed by Mark Cuban, Norwest Venture Partners, Section 32, and Financial Venture Studios, among many others and just announced our plans to go public by the end of 2021.
Dave is looking for an experienced and passionate ML/AI leader as the Director of Data Science in our Data organization. The director of Data Science will play a critical role in Dave’s growth, leading the build-out of our Data Science function. This role will partner directly with senior leadership across the business to surface key insights and devise strategies that drive growth and improve our operations. This position requires a capable leader and driven self-starter who is able to work with senior leadership comfortably, takes tasks from start to finish, and who enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment.
What You'll Do
- Develop machine learning/data science strategy and operating model to build trust and capabilities with business partners to leverage data and machine learning a as strategic asset to fuel growth
- Drive the full lifecycle of algorithm development from ideation and data exploration, algorithm design and testing, algorithm development and deployment, to algorithm monitoring and tuning in production.
- Hire and lead a team of high-caliber ML data scientists with superb academic credentials and proven industry expertise in prediction, optimization, segmentation and other advanced technologies eg. NLP, CV use cases.
- Closely collaborates with product and business owners to translate the big picture strategic vision into prioritized deliverables the team is accountable for providing
- Innovative thought leader for ensuring the ML/AI strategy the team is developing continues to be a cutting edge solution to solve business use cases; responsible for fostering environment for continued learnings of recent AI best practices
What You'll Need
- MS degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or other quantitative fields. PhD preferred.
- 10+ years of industry experience in Data Science Machine Learning or other quantitative disciplines
- 5+ years of data science people management experience
- Deep experience developing successful ML solutions to business problems
- Proven track record of solving ambiguous and highly complex data problems.
- Exceptional critical thinking and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Must be able to explain technical concepts and ML implications clearly to a wide and senior audience, and be able to translate business objectives into actionable ML efforts
- Fintech experiences like payment, banking, and credit is a big plus.
Benefits & Perks
• Premium Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance plans
• Insurance premiums 100% covered for you and 80% for your dependents
• Company provided Basic Life and Short-Term Disability plans
• Competitive salary and equity compensation packages
• Voluntary Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability plans
• 401(k) savings plan with matching contributions
• Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
• Generous and flexible PTO
• Flexible work hours
• Generous paid parental leave
• A collaborative environment with opportunities for learning and growth
• Virtual social events
Dave Inc is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, medical condition, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.