Hallmark Labs is a subsidiary of Hallmark Cards, Inc based in Santa Monica, California.
We currently operate two digital subscription services, Hallmark Movies Now and
Hallmark eCards, as well as ongoing initiatives in personalized, print-on-demand
greeting cards. We are a diverse team of innovators, creators and influencers
leveraging Hallmark’s deep experience in creating meaningful connections and
progressing it into the digital age with cutting-edge technology.
Are you great at what you do and passionate about your work? Are you honest and
Are you a self- motivated, go-getter that likes to have fun?
If so, you are in the right place.
What we're looking for...
You're a seasoned Database Engineer ready to join our talented Database Team. You will work with developers and business stakeholders to understand the business needs for data and create, maintain, and monitor secure and highly performant databases. You are passionate about data and not only enjoy data schema design, but are comfortable with various DB tools and types of databases. You know that good data and well designed and maintained databases are critical to any business. As part of your role, you will:
- Design, develop and maintain multiple databases
- Database performance tuning
- Monitor and troubleshoot database issues
- Implement disaster recovery and high availability plans
- Create and implement backup and recovery plans
- Implementation of security standards
- Establish database development standards
- Lead and complete tasks independently, with attention to detail and while under pressure
- Work with team in a collaborative environment
- Apply excellent judgment, problem resolution, negotiation, and decision-making skills as well as the ability to work within established timelines
- Identify, analyze, and drive problems to resolution, handle complex issues simultaneously while effectively communicating across teams
- Effectively communicate technical actions and expectations to the appropriate audience
- Deliver customer service excellence by identifying appropriate technical solutions, and meeting/exceeding service expectations
- Bachelor's degree, OR 4 or more years professional work experience
- 4+ years of experience as a Database Administrator
- 4+ years of data modeling experience
- 4+ years of performance tuning, disaster recovery and backup experience
- 3+ years of experience with SQL and MySQL (familiarity with 5.6 and above required)
- 3+ years of experience with AWS RDS (MySql, Aurora, MariaDB), AWS EC2, MySQL, Postgres
- 3+ years of experience with shell (bash, powershell) scripting experience (Python and Ruby a plus)
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 3 or more years of architecting and implementing security compliance across all data platforms. PCI, PII
- 4 or more years of experience setting up highly-available solutions for load balancing, connection pooling, and query partitioning
- 4 or more years of experience with automating tasks, deployments, and patching
- 3 or more years of experience with monitoring database/system performance using Enterprise monitoring tools such as CloudWatch, Datadog, NewRelic
- 2 or more years of experience with configuration, troubleshooting, performance tuning, and security procedures; experience with Linux
- SQL development experience for stored procedures/functions/extensions, ETL and OLAP data loads
- Expertise in relational database administration including configuration, implementation, data modeling, maintenance, redundancy/HA, security, troubleshooting/performance tuning, upgrades, database, data and server migrations, SQL
- Expertise in configuring, implementing and supporting high availability redundancy strategies on systems including replication, clustering, log shipping, mirroring
- Expertise in relational database design and architectural principles and methodologies
- Excellent systems documentation and diagraming skills
- Knowledge of understanding of TCP/IP fundamentals (DNS, FTP, SSH), general networking technologies, AWS VPC stack, network architecture and connectivity troubleshooting
This is a progressive role that will be filled at the level based on the skills and experience of the selected candidate. Please include a portfolio/link displaying clear evidence of the elements listed above, if necessary. Be prepared to explain your contribution, process and rationale for the projects you show.
To be considered for this position you must also show how you meet the Basic Qualifications of the job in a resume or document you upload, or by completing the work experience and education application fields. Accepted file types are Microsoft Word (DOC or DOCX), PDF, HTML, or TXT. Individual file size attachment limit is 10 MB.
In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Hallmark Cards, Inc. and its subsidiary companies will hire only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Hallmark does not generally provide sponsorship for employment. Employment by Hallmark is contingent upon the signing of the Employment Agreement, signing of an agreement to arbitrate in connection with the Hallmark Dispute Resolution Program, completing Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification, passing the urinalysis drug screen, education verification and satisfactory reference and background checks.
Excellent medical benefits
401(k) match up to 5%
Life insurance policy for every employee, at no cost
Cell phone and home internet reimbursement
Carpool and parking pass cash-out program
Generous maternity/paternity leave
Employee assistance programs
Fully stocked kitchen with fresh fruit and delicious snacks and beverages
Monthly catered lunches
Soft serve machine 24/7
Great eateries close by, oh, and we’re near the beach!
Massage chairs and bicycles
Onsite free parking
Flexible work hours/work from home
Hallmark Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other legally-protected status. Principals only please.