Database Administrator at Leaf Group
Leaf Group is a diversified Internet company that builds platforms to enable communities of creators to reach dedicated audiences in the ever-growing lifestyle categories.
We are looking for a Database Administrator to help our Technical Operations team from our Santa Monica office. You will work closely with DevOps, SysAdmins and Development teams.
We create amazing experiences that celebrate the best of art, design and technology. We want people with an intense curiosity, a commitment to high quality service, who embrace the fun of the journey. Come help us disrupt and transform the digital media and art world!
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for a Database Engineer grows with us.
You’ll Report To: Manager, DevOps
What You'll Be Doing:
- Collaborate with Developers, Devops, Sysadmins and Network Engineers to build reliable and scalable services.
- Working with multiple business units on day-to-day operations.
- Installing, monitoring, maintaining, upgrading, and tuning databases supporting a network of websites/business units.
- Performance optimization, rewriting queries, introducing indexes, table partitioning and schema maintenance.
- Implementations of backup and disaster recovery solutions.
- Completing tasks required to maintain service levels of project delivery and ensure the availability of all features and functions.
You’ll be successful if you have a strong understanding of the UNIX systems programming and administration philosophy. We’re looking for a team player who is proactive, collaborative, adaptable, and able to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
What You Have:
- Understanding of the UNIX systems programming and administration philosophy.
- Experience as a DBA and/or Systems Administrator.
- Proficiency in at least two of the following database technologies: MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as: MongoDB or Couchbase.
- Experience supporting development, testing and production databases.
- Experience setting up replication, sharding and other high availability solutions.
- Working expertise with at least one scripting language: Python or Bash.
- Strong Linux working knowledge (preferably RedHat/CentOS family)
- Proactive, collaborative, and a team player.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats - no job being too small or too large.
- We're casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. A pleasant and supportive demeanor goes a long way.
- Kubernetes (or any other orchestration frameworks).
- Percona Toolkit such as pt-online-schema-change.
- AWS (RDS/EC2/Redshift) or Google Cloud Platform.
- Ansible, Terraform or Puppet.
- Docker containers.
Who We Are:
We create experiences that celebrate the best of art, design, and technology. We want smart, curious people committed to putting people first, having fun while they work, a commitment to high quality service to make things better and a desire for constant growth. We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We look for proactive, accountable people focused on continuous learning and growth to push themselves and our business forward. Check us out here: https://www.leafgroup.com/brands/
What We Have:
- Well+Good is the 2019 People's Choice winner of the Webby’s Award for Best Lifestyle Brand
- eHow is the 2019 People's Choice and official Webby Winner for Social Video/How To-DIY
- Leaf Group is among the 2019 Built In LA Best Companies To Work For
- Leaf Group is among Comparably's 2018 Best Companies in Los Angeles
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company Award
- MyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
- Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages (i.e., Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401K)
- Discounted gym memberships
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.