Data Analyst, Artist Insights
Universal Music Group is the world's leading music company. We are committed to artistry, innovation and entrepreneurship. We own and operate an array of businesses engaged in recorded music, music publishing, merchandising, and audiovisual content in more than 60 countries.
Our vast catalogue of recordings comprises the largest, most diverse and culturally rich collection of music ever assembled. As digital technology refashions the world, our unmatched commitment to lead in developing new services, platforms and business models for music and related content delivery empowers innovators and allows new commercial and artistic opportunities to flourish.
- UMG's Global Insight team manages the most powerful and effective data sets and research capabilities in the music industry. As well as utilizing sales, streaming and other commercial data, the Global Insight team manages extensive consumer survey data from around the world, delivering unique detail into evolving attitudes and behavior of today's music consumers.
- Global Insight is a 15+ staff team, with presence in London, NY and LA. This role is based in LA and will require close integration with the data teams in NY and London, supporting the Artist Insight team. The candidate will report directly to the Data Manager, Artist Insights.
- The Artist Insight Team delivers in-depth artist brand analysis, campaign recommendations and trend information to marketing executives, informing artist brand development, media buying, marketing campaigns and commercial strategy of music releases.
- We are currently seeking a Data Analyst to run complex queries and analysis on UMG's commercial and sales data, as well as other data sources, to support Artist Insight projects.
- Support Artist Strategy Projects from a commercial data analysis point of view, from start to finish: define the data needed, conduct the analysis and come up with conclusive answers and specific strategic recommendations
- Perform analysis on large sets of structured commercial data on a daily basis, to identify actionable recommendations for the business and for artists.
- Apply contextual knowledge about artists and the music industry in your commercial data analysis and interpretation.
- Understand and communicate the implications of the changes in the music landscape in the data analysis interpretation.
- Work closely with the Data / Analytics teams in NY, LA and London, ensuring you are up-to-date and involved with the data analysis initiatives developed across the business.
- Collaborate with fellow analysts across UMG's US record labels to drive forward best practices in data querying and analysis methodologies.
- Identify opportunities to develop analysis, providing pro-active suggestions and innovating on an ongoing basis.
- Good database analytics and data extraction (SQL) skills are essential, ideally gained in a large data warehouse environment. Ability to write well structured, performance SQL using advanced SQL techniques (e.g. Window Functions where appropriate.)
- Experience with column storage databases in general, and particularly Google BigQuery, would be an advantage. An understanding of performance tuning is desirable.
- Data visualization (e.g. Tableau, Domo, Google DataStudio).
- Statistical modeling (R/Python), segmentation building would be a plus.
- Deep understanding of numbers, as well as a strong business sense.
- Ability to explain complex topics in simple terms. Can translate numerical findings into recommendations.
- Team worker, can-do approach.
- Passion for music is essential.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous innovation is the rule.
- At least 1-2 years of experience of experience in a similar data analyst role, preferably in an entertainment/ tech company.
- Degree in science, computer science, statistics, economics, mathematics, or similar quantitative discipline.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.