Senior Environment Artist - Research & Development
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends and has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Delivering visually stunning experiences for a global audience while also building new games gives artists exciting and complex problems to solve. Here, artists are working not only with one another, but also side-by-side with game designers, narrative writers, and audio designers and engineers. We come together to ensure that each piece of content from Riot reaches the level of quality players deserve. From animations to illustrations, cinematics to comics, characters to environments, we work as a team to put players first.
As part of the Environment Art team, you’ll help tell stories through visually compelling environments. You’ll bring purpose to the design constraints and craft performance savvy artwork that seamlessly blends the technical requirements. Your craft expertise and eye for structure, form, shape language, and design will help develop and build fantastic new worlds for our players to explore. As a senior member of the team, you will help mentor your fellow team members to continue to raise our quality bar and game developer aptitude.
Do you want to join Riot's R&D group in building exciting new AAA games? We'll need you to work closely with the Lead Environment Artist and help drive the visual style of the project. You’ll also work with Level Designers and translate their layouts into believable worlds that improve the overall gameplay experience. Finally, you’ll craft assets using state of the art techniques utilizing sculpting, PBR materials, and the most modern lighting models.
- Guide the look and feel of 3d assets ranging from hard surface structures to organic foliage
- Influence the asset creation pipeline with your understanding of optimized low poly asset creation such as modular kits to take into account efficiency, speed, and cross-dependencies
- Work exclusively in PBR workflows
- Interpret and push concept designs to the next level while taking into account technical and design constraints such as draw calls, poly counts, texture memory limits, and gameplay boundaries
- Use your sense of composition, layout, and color to push the environment mood to its fullest potential
- Communicate with various other disciplines to ensure all assets are performant
- Guide and mentor members of your team
- Deep knowledge of modeling, sculpting and texturing programs such as Maya, Zbrush, Substance, and Photoshop
- Strong experience working with various game engines from licensed to proprietary.
When you apply, you will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of your work and may be asked to complete an art test
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).