Inspire’s Design Studio is looking for a collaborative copywriter who can compose anything from a tagline to long form copy to micro copy. From print to digital, brand to product, ads, scripts, web, decks and emails. You’re a strategic storyteller driven by making a difference — and an impact. You have an opinion about Oxford commas, the use of ampersands and when an em dash is more appropriate than a semicolon.
You’ll work closely with key stakeholders across the organization to support or create various Product, Marketing, Brand and internal copy initiatives. This will include the shaping of Inspire’s brand narrative and messaging. This role is part of the design team and will report directly to the Sr. Creative Director. Why? Because we believe copy and design go hand in hand.
THE COPYWRITER HAS FOUR MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Multi-channel content creation — Work closely with key stakeholders to help develop and maintain Inspire’s verbal identity, and build consistency across everything we write. Understand how copy and design work together to achieve optimal outcomes in any channel.
- Grammar & Writing Excellence — As our master wordsmith, you’ll digest and interpret jargony tech and industry language into clear copy people understand (and actually want to read). Review, copyedit and proofread various materials to ensure messaging is compelling, on brand, and consistent in style and quality. Understand flow, hierarchy of information, callbacks, and the relationship words have with other words in the right context.
- Clear & Personable Tone of Voice — Strong passion for customer experience, retention, acquisition, technology and well, words in general. Create compelling, surprise-and-delight creative in a neighborly voice that’s easy to digest. Help to develop and solidify new brand style guidelines.
- Strategic & Results Driven — Maintain a thorough, well-organized and well-kept database of approved, on-brand copy that other teams and departments may utilize consistently. Understand best practices when writing for SEO, clicks and conversion.
SOME EXPECTED 2020 DELIVERABLES
- Standards & Guidelines: Copy standards, rules and guidelines for you and others to follow. Create a single copy doc master template, or multiple templates that suit the needs of various projects and/or teams.
- Brand Copy: Brochures, posters, physical and digital banners, emails, presentation decks, social posts, video scripts, user stories, and more. Not all at once. And not all at the same time. But expect a wide variety of projects.
- Product Copy: Embed yourself with the Product team to understand the vision and key features of our product offerings. UX and microcopy for app and digital experiences.
- Copy guidelines to follow and distribute
- Identify & document memorable/repeatable descriptions and phrases to communicate our story, values and user benefits
- Clear copy with consistent tone-of-voice for every touchpoint
- On time and accurate deliverables
- Flexible - Able to take the initiative, manage your own briefs, juggle multiple projects, and bring some process to an office that's never had an official copywriter
- Clever - Able to problem solve and figure things out in a fast moving environment
- User advocate - Able to create coherent, consistent messaging while passionately advocating for the needs of the user
- Pragmatic - A pragmatic, common-sense approach to writing, with a good understanding of design, information hierarchy, UX and context setting
- Must Have
- 5+ years of copywriting experience at an ad agency or consumer-facing company
- High level of English language skills: grammar, punctuation, spelling
- Master of structure, flow, formatting, and champion of crystal clear communication
- Fluent in copy and messaging best-practices for print and digital platforms
- Experience writing long and short form copy
- Experience with A/B testing and SEO copywriting techniques
- Nice to Have
- Technical writing experience
- Passionate about technology with understanding of user experience
- Experience writing for mobile and UX
- Experience writing for B2B and PR
- Interest in commerce, pop culture, new advertising trends and techniques