Copy Editor at MotorTrend Group
Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, the MotorTrend Group is the largest automotive media company in the world. Launched with MotorTrend’s iconic magazine 70 years ago, the company now has a global reach that includes MotorTrend TV, the MotorTrend streaming service, MotorTrend.com, and Hot Rod magazine, with franchises that include MotorTrend Car of the Year, Roadkill, Wheeler Dealers, Best Driver’s Car and dozens more. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Copy Editor (full-time, hourly, regular) will be the first line of editorial defense. The ideal candidate will be someone who is passionate about what others would consider small details and who lives for correcting the minutiae while also embracing the big picture. The Copy Editor will work with a staff of creative professionals to help put forth the best versions of the best stories about the latest and greatest offerings in the automotive industry. This role will be heavily focused on copy editing digital content, although there will be some involvement in copying for the print publication. The Copy Editor’s essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Working with the Senior Copy Editor, Executive Editor, Digital Director, and Senior Production Editor to copy edit stories to ensure sense; continuity; quality of grammar, spelling, and style; accuracy and consistency of text and art; and loyalty to the MotorTrend voice for publication throughout MotorTrend’s digital and print network.
- Verifying non-technical facts and working with MotorTrend’s technical director to verify technical facts.
- Collaborating with the aftermarket, in-market, buyer’s guide, news, and video teams to help ensure consistent quality across platforms and titles.
- Writing original headlines, subheads, cutlines, and other additional copy for staff-created articles.
- Writing original articles, listicles, long-term vehicle reviews as needed.
- Helping with print editing needs where relevant.
- Bachelor’s degree in English or journalism from four-year college or university.
- Prior experience as a copy editor or similar role is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- The ability to achieve accuracy of fact and language.
- The ability to research and find information quickly.
- A positive, collaborative attitude in an environment of constant deadlines.
- The ability to balance multiple deadlines.
- Proficient computer skills using Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and similar applications.
- Familiarity with WordPress or similar CMS.
- Able to work independently and as a team with and without supervision.
- Automotive and storytelling appreciation preferred.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud applications (InDesign)
- Google Docs
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.