Copy Editor, Branded Content at Who What Wear
Do you have a good sense of humor about language in the digital age and can’t resist the opportunity to discuss en dashes or misplaced modifiers? Are you the kind of person who never leaves home without a copy of White and Strunk’s The Elements of Style? If so then we want to meet you!
Named to Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies list in 2017 and as Digiday's Most Innovative Publisher in 2018, Who What Wear is looking to hire a Copy Editor to join its talented Branded Content team.
The Copy Editor, Branded Content will be the final eyes on all fashion, beauty and lifestyle branded content across Who What Wear, ensuring it meets Who What Wear’s editorial standards while maintaining each individual brand’s voice. The ideal candidate will be a highly skilled top editor, proofreader, and teacher who can offer expert writing advice at a moment’s notice, can effectively prioritize departmental needs and work under pressure and tight deadlines. In addition, this person will be an experienced market writer with proficiency in optimizing content for a digital and social audience and has a strong interest in working with clients to create ROI-driving content. We are looking for someone who is well-versed in women’s fashion trends and brands, and passionate about shopping content. This position is based in New York or Los Angeles and will report to Who What Wear’s Senior Director of Branded Content.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure all branded content (including but not limited to stories, social, newsletters, decks, and event copy) is proofread and adheres to Who What Wear’s best practices and style guide.
- Top-edit content, evaluating readability, tone, and issues like normativity.
- Ensure branded content stories are correctly tagged in the CMS and in line with FTC requirements.
- Make suggestions to improve and optimize branded content, based on understanding Who What Wear’s voice, SEO, and knowledge of top-performing content.
- Write copy and own tasks as needed to support the Branded Content team, including but not limited to stories, social, newsletters, decks, and events.
- Partner with clients and Who What Wear’s Client Services team in a collaborative manner by incorporating client feedback while maintaining Who What Wear’s editorial content standards.
- Ensure onsite branded content is optimized for search and social sharing.
- Build and edit stories in our CMS.
- Stay ahead of digital content best practices, style guide, and industry best practices for native advertising.
- Assist the Editorial Copy Team to help with bandwidth as needed.
- 2–5 years of experience in online publishing, with a proven background in digital media.
- Must have flawless grammar and be familiar with Chicago Manual of Style.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure, meet tight deadlines, and provide self-direction.
- Must be well-versed in women’s fashion trends and brands, with a passion for shopping content.
- Must have an interest in native advertising and revenue-driving content; Familiarity with affiliate content marketing a plus.
- Knowledge of online editorial and social media best practices, including optimizing content for SEO.
- Firsthand experience with daily publishing in a CMS.
- Team-player attitude with a resourceful, can-do spirit and the ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment.
- Experience working in branded content (interfacing with Sales teams a plus).
- Intimate familiarity with Who What Wear with deep passion for and understanding of the brand.
More about Who What Wear:
Who What Wear is an international fashion company known for its content sites—whowhatwear.com and whowhatwear.co.uk—and its affordable, size-inclusive, and trend-forward line of clothing and accessories. The brand was founded in 2006 by Hillary Kerr and Katherine Power and includes the chart-topping career podcast, Second Life, which is hosted by Kerr. Most recently, Who What Wear launched a sister company, Versed, which is a clean skincare line with 19 products all under $20. Headquartered in Los Angeles, Who What Wear also has offices in New York City, London, and Minneapolis, and has Amazon, Greycroft Partners, BDMI, WndrCo, and others as key investors.
Who What Wear is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Who What Wear believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as an international company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.