Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Tala is a mobile technology and data science company that is working to expand financial access, choice and control to underserved consumers globally. Tala’s smartphone app instantly evaluates customers for credit using only the data on their devices and delivers customized loans in minutes.
We are reinventing credit by using alternative data to underwrite customers in real time, without reliance on traditional credit reports and helping our users build an entirely new financial identity through digital credit. Our proprietary identity and credit scoring technologies have helped us lend to over 1M+ customers overlooked by traditional finance – with the goal of serving an estimated underserved population of 3 billion globally!
At Tala, we see the world differently. We’re driven by a fundamental belief in people, and we work hard to prove their potential. We take risks that others won’t, in order to put more power in our customers’ hands. Every day, we challenge the limits of a system that has left 3 billion people behind – committing to building a world where underserved people everywhere have financial access, choice, and control. We call this way of doing things Radical Trust. We think trust will be the currency that drives a better financial system – one that sees, understands and serves more of the world’s people.
Tala is looking for a detail-oriented and dynamic Senior Accountant with experience working in a rapidly growing, hands-on, start-up environment. This position requires excellent communication, an ability to think critically and creatively, attention to detail and a team-oriented attitude.
What you’ll do:
- Assist Controller with all aspects of Tala’s accounting department which includes, but is not limited to, the company's consolidated financial statements, general ledger, portfolio accounting, payroll, accounts payable, reconciliation of balance sheet accounts, budgeting, tax compliance, and various special analyses or projects.
- Maintain adequate and effective processes to improve the close and reporting cycles to ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations
- Follow corporate policies and procedures such as invoice processing, cash management and expense policies.
- Manage internal practices, policies, and all accounting to GAAP policies to ensure compliance within the US
- Implement or enhance processes to further streamline and enable more accurate and timely reporting.
- Ensure accurate and timely production of all financial information.
- Ad Hoc projects as they arise, we are a start-up after all!
Who you are:
- A collaborative self-starter. You’re excited to pursue new initiatives and love to partner with cross-functional leads to move the business forward
- A highly innovative problem-solver. You approach a problem from different perspectives and use your holistic understanding of the business to see new opportunities/risks
- A mentor. You enjoy mentoring and get fulfillment from watching careers grow
- Passionate about social enterprise and find meaning in working to make the world a better place
What you’ll need:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Related Field.
- 3+ years experience in the accounting and finance sector.
- Experience with managing multiple entities.
- Experience with international entities, ideally in emerging markets
- Strong understanding of US GAAP
- CPA or CPA candidate
- Experience in public accounting
- Exceptional work ethic.
Tala, formerly known as InVenture, is backed by Google Ventures, IVP, Revolution, Ribbit Capital, Lowercase Capital, Data Collective, Collaborative Fund and other leading venture and impact investors. In 2016, Fast Company ranked Tala, formerly known as InVenture, as one of its top 10 companies in Money, and Forbes named Tala as one of the top 50 FinTech companies in the world. Additionally, Tala’s work has been highlighted by the New York Times, the Financial Times, the Wall Street Journal, TED, and Wired, among others.
Benefits and Perks
We offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive health and wellness coverage, 401k and reimbursement for commuting expenses. To promote healthy work-life balance, we offer unlimited paid time off and paid parental leave. At Tala, we provide enriching opportunities for personal and professional development, including travel to our global markets to meet with actual customers.
We truly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse team with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We focus on hiring talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.