Greater LA Area
Yankees, Angels, Eagles, Seahawks, Lollapalooza, Governors Ball, Bonnaroo… the biggest names in entertainment are our customers. We power the tech behind every t-shirt, hotdog, and drink sold at these venues, and at a global list of other clients that you just wouldn’t believe.
Appetize is looking for a truly exceptional Release Manager with Project Management sensibilities to work with some of our most important engineering teams. We’re looking for someone who is ready and willing to tackle our active release schedule across web and mobile platforms. Not only from a deployment perspective, but from a project / release scheduling standpoint as well.
This is a critical role, releasing web, mobile, and infrastructure features to tackle an endless, important roadmap at intimidating scale. Imagine Lollapalooza or a hot Yankees game in the middle of summer if you couldn’t buy a beer… unacceptable. The stuff you’ll work on has a very real impact, and our customers will love you or hate you for what you release. What you ship matters here.
You should be able to operate without much direction, but be excited to work closely with a
team. You will work alongside QA Engineers, Developers, and Project Managers to make sure that all releases run smoothly.
We have an incredible team with a brilliant culture. Your friends will be jealous when you tell them about your day at work. What are you waiting for? Send us your resume!
- Work with project management and cross-functional teams to align release dates across multiple projects.
- Coordinate with product management and engineering to plan which features will make it into a release.
- Assure that releases / deployments run smoothly (make sure branches are tagged correctly, make sure versioning is correct, etc).
- Keep an eye on pull requests, make sure they point to the right branches, make sure code reviews get done in a timely manner, etc.
- Track releases in Jira, tag tickets with correct release versions, make sure tickets are verified on production after deploys, etc.
- Actively participate in release meetings / discussions.
- Manage and support the DevOps and Engineering roadmaps for rolling out and documenting new processes, platforms, and tools to improve deployments and software delivery for the business.
- Own Go No/Go Checkpoints leading up to releases and share statuses of releases to internal audience.
- Spearhead a strong, predictable, release strategy for Appetize, working with key stakeholders and cross-functional teams.
- Must be willing to shift work day to work late afternoon into the evening twice per week.
- 3+ years of release management/deployment experience with web-based and mobile platforms (iOS, Android) and in managing multiple release streams at the same time.
- Strong understanding of Engineering platforms and tools including but not limited to effective branching and merging strategies, pull requests, and code reviews using Bitbucket.
- Practiced experience with Jenkins.
- Knowledge and understanding of release management on Kubernetes or Docker-based platforms.
- Experience with CI/CD workflows using Git and Jenkins for microservices-based software platform.
- Experience working with JIRA including being able to create JQL filters to pull the right data.
- Strong experience of the Agile Software Development Life Cycle (ScrumMaster or Project Management experience is a plus).
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills working with key stakeholders from product to operations.
- Technical problem solving and root cause analysis skills.
- Able to multitask effectively.
- Ability to coordinate matrix teams across engineering and QA to effectively execute releases across multiple products/platforms.
- Experience working with geo-distributed teams.
- Knowing how to manage direct reports a plus (potentially 1 or 2)
- Willing to adjust schedule for late night deployments.
- Strong communicator - ability to share status of releases to multiple teams and stakeholders through status reports.
- Create and maintain release related pages on Confluence.
Read Full Job Description