Director, Technical Program Management at MotorTrend Group
Machines that Move Us.
People who Inspire Us.
Stories that Drive Us.
Check us out: http://bit.ly/MotorTrendG
We are MotorTrend.
With a monthly reach of more than 131 million, MTG is the largest automotive media company in the world. With franchises including MotorTrend, Hot Rod, Automobile, Wheeler Dealers, Roadkill, Best Driver’s Car, and dozens of other world-class brands, we are reimagining storytelling around mobility. Our portfolio brings together Discovery’s #1 TV network for automotive super fans, with our vast automotive digital platform that includes direct-to-consumer products, websites, apps, connected TVs, social, and live events.
The people who work at MotorTrend embody the passion of our content, and wake up every day intent on embracing, entertaining, and empowering the motoring world.
Job Summary & Responsibilities:
The Director, Technical Program Management (full-time, salaried, regular) will build multiple high-performance, stable, scalable customer facing applications (Web, IOS and Android mobile apps, Connected TV apps such as FireTV and Roku) and successfully ship to customers in production. You will work on service-oriented architecture, project management and agile development methodologies. You’ll thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. You are a key influencer in your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to team planning. You show good judgement making trade-offs between immediate and long-term business needs. You are a collaborative partner that makes other team members around you more productive, by sharing your knowledge, and helping to tie-break key technical decisions.
- Lead planning, execution and delivery of projects across multiple teams around the world
- Leverage your deep technical expertise, strong problem-solving skills and excellent leadership skills to come up with new ways to get things done
- Research and define system integrations that will allow us to move fast and deliver with quality, balancing customer and business needs versus technical constraints
- You will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs.
- Own communication for technical delivery across these projects with senior leadership and partner organizations.
- Support the team in developing metrics and measuring their impact
- This position may include supervising one or more employees where applicable. Supervisory responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide consistent training, support, and mentorship to team
- Review and approve individual timecards (as needed) and time-off requests to ensure optimal staffing levels
- Effective, fair, and consistent performance management
- Fairly and consistently ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
- [further supervisory duties/responsibilities, if applicable]
- A BS degree in computer science or a related field is required
- At least 7 years technical program management experience in a software product development environment
- At least 3 years’ experience leading technical teams and putting talent management practices in place.
- Proven experience as a technical leader. Demonstrated ability to lead the design and development of complex applications.
- Experience in delivering customer facing applications on platforms such as web, Mobile (IOS, Android), Connected TV ( Fire TV, Roku, TVOS)
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong sense of responsibility and ownership for the success of projects from inception to rollout and maintenance.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven analytical thinking, skills in metrics creation and project management, attention to details, and exceptional organizational skills
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Strong technical, analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to use data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations and drive decisions
- History of teamwork and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done.
- The ability to sit for prolonged period of time and view computer screen.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Work is performed in an office environment that is well lit and ventilated.
NOTE: This position description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict any other tasks that may be assigned.