Construction Project Manager at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
Relativity Space is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space -- starting with rockets. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace technology, Relativity’s platform vertically integrates intelligent robotics and 3D autonomous manufacturing technology to build the world’s first entirely 3D printed rocket. Relativity’s investors include Mark Cuban, Y-Combinator, Social Capital and Playground Global.
We are looking for a Construction Project Manager to join our growing team at our headquarters in Long Beach, California. You will be responsible for real estate development, AE design development, and new construction to support Relativity’s factory and surrounding facilities. You bring curiosity for our unique technology and our production processes, and are eager to development a next generation launch site.
This position is part of our Launch, Infrastructure, and Facilities organization, which oversee launch operations, new construction projects, and facility operations and maintenance. Our facilities are a key part to Relativity’s success in creating the first autonomous rocket factory, and delivering industry-leading launch services to our customers.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
As a Construction Project Manager, you connect various internal technical teams to define facility requirements and to develop solutions and will be our owner’s representative to outside facing consultants, contractors, and government agencies.
You will be responsible for managing the design and construction of new infrastructure and will be responsible for the development of construction drawings, request for proposals, competitive bidding, bid evaluations, sub-contractor selections, sub-contractor management, and construction management across Relativity’s southern California real estate portfolio.
As a Construction Project Manager at Relativity, you will be at the forefront of creating a world class launch vehicle factory. You enjoy working with teams and are able to work autonomously to ensure project completion. You have a background in field engineering, construction engineering, or construction management, and you have a passion for taking ideas and designs and making them become a reality in the built environment. You are a learner and doer at heart, who continuously engages across technical and operations teams to achieve amazing outcomes. You are willing to travel up 25% to support ongoing design, construction, and operations across Relativity’s sites.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management, or related discipline.
- Minimum 2+ years of experience working in engineering or construction with a mix of hands-on field experience and construction management.
- Experience with design documentation, construction drawings, construction bid solicitation, contractor selection, construction management, field superintendent, permitting, QA/QC.
- Experience with project scoping, budgeting, scheduling from both a day-to-day perspective as well as overall construction management.
- Experience with development, permitting, land use controls, conditional use permits, and working with local government agencies.
- Experience with Architectural, Structural, Civil, and MEPF design, construction, and operation.
- Understanding of standard construction procedures, best practices, means & methods.
- Understanding of California Building Code, International Building Code, and MEPF specific codes.
- Ability to manage a team across multiple offices including giving constructive feedback and managing workloads.
- Demonstrated customer service excellence and ability to communicate highly effectively in verbal/written form with internal and external customers.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- High organizational skills in managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to design and understand precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings and modeling applications.
- Ability to perform and manage technically complex projects using independent judgment and personal initiative.
- Recognize and act on opportunities; maintain flexibility to adjust as requirements shift or constraints change.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 5+ years of experience working in construction with a mix of hands-on field experience and construction management.
- Advanced degree or training in engineering, facilities design, construction, and/or O&M.
- Experience with facilities and systems within the aerospace industry.
- Experience working with industrial real estate.
- Familiar with aerospace planning, procedures and operations.
- Experience working with state and federal government agencies.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.