Director of Product - Consumer
The Director of Product - Consumer is responsible for making compelling consumer experiences across web and mobile that simplify the adoption and management of renewable energy for the home.
As Director of Product - Consumer, you will have the unique opportunity to work with the VP of Product to develop a product and business strategy for Inspire’s portfolio of consumer applications from the ground up and formulate a roadmap to bring that strategy to life. You will be responsible for empowering customers to have engaging experiences regardless of touchpoint or energy subscription plan. In addition to recruiting, building and developing a team of highly-talented product managers, you will be required to roll up your sleeves and ship product directly. Ambidexterity between being to do an individual contributors’ job and creating highly-leveraged managerial structures to enable others to do the job is fundamental to the success of this role.
ABOUT THE CUSTOMER
Central to this role is a relentless focus on creating software products that improve customer’s lives. The ability to create products that help consumers effortlessly and painlessly optimize their energy usage in ways that are delightful to use is critical. Understanding and contextualizing the human behavior that drives the ebbs and flows of energy consumption in the home is paramount to creating products that power our subscription business and Inspire’s ability to deliver clean energy at scale.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Own the roadmap and performance of Inspire’s consumer-facing presence across web and mobile - You will work with the VP of Product and stakeholders across the company to develop Inspire’s consumer product strategy and be responsible for delivering on the roadmap.
- Define, instrument and manage to KPIs relevant to your product portfolio - Work with the VP of Product and cross-functionally to develop and operationalize the key metrics you will use to grow the business’s total footprint.
- Own Inspire’s Net Promoter Score - Ensure that consumer experiences are delighting users and generating organic growth through word of mouth.
- Grow Inspire’s loyalty program strategy and offerings - Define and drive the business strategy for relaunching Inspire’s customer loyalty program, driven by internal and external analysis.
- Collaborate with Hardware team to create a seamless hardware+software experience - Ensure that our hardware and smart home strategy is integrated into our experiences for mobile and web.
- Manage, develop and grow direct reports in both mobile and web - Recruit, hire, onboard and develop high-impact individuals. Create a productive, collegial team environment that executes with precision and contributes excellence the larger Product organization and Inspire.
- Work with the VP of Product to develop, define and socialize consumer experience strategy and roadmap with executive management and key stakeholders.
- Ship and make progress on both consumer-facing Web and Mobile roadmaps.
- Optimize Inspire’s website for all stages of the customer journey: Awareness, Consideration, Purchase, Retention, Advocacy
- Work cross-functionality with Hardware team to create a seamless software+hardware experience.
- Retool and relaunch customer loyalty program across all consumer-facing touchpoints.
- Hire and develop a high-functioning team of individual contributor product managers.
TRAITS REQUIRED FOR THE ROLE
- Customer-Obsessed - Your desire to create value for the average consumer borders on obsessive. Determining what moves the needle in a family’s day-to-day interactions with their home is what drives your product decision-making.
- Doer - Not afraid to roll up their sleeves and wade through the muck to uncover the right answers.
- Learning machine - Consumes and distills new information voraciously, climbs learning curves with dizzying speed. We should feel like we would have a hard time keeping up with you and be compelled to level up our game as a consequence.
- Systems Thinker - You can reason from First Principles to parse signal from noise, extrapolate the underlying pattern, identify the sensitive inputs & weightings and generalize to other contexts.
- Foresight - You are able to balance the needs of the present without jeopardizing or constraining optionality in the future. You can play out the multi-round consequences of available paths or tactics, take the long-term view and do not make a habit of cutting corners.
- High Trajectory - You are pursuing personal and professional growth as a top reason for changing jobs. You actively seek coaching and working environments that imprint you with new skills and abilities to level up.
- Humility - You are comfortable enough to know when to say “I don’t know”. You share credit with the team when things go well and volunteer to own the blame when something goes wrong in your corner of the kitchen.
- Strong Manager of People - You recognize that a manager’s job is to enable the groups you influence (directly or indirectly) to produce stellar work product regularly and repeatedly. You Embrace the fact that this requires being a leader of people, ensuring the individual and collective machinery stays balanced with productive throughput. You are capable of tuning your management style to the individual preferences of each direct report and regularly provide opportunities for them to grow within their work.
SKILLS REQUIRED FOR THE ROLE
- Stellar user research chops - You are not afraid to dig in and unearth the underlying causal mechanisms that drive adoption, usage & retention. Well-versed in ethnography, generative interviews, evaluative interviews, & A/B testing.
- A strong eye for user experience - Must be able to communicate using design tools like Sketch, Figma, or the Adobe Suite.
- Web and mobile experience - Direct experience leading teams to develop and launch compelling consumer experiences across web and mobile. Must be ambidextrous across mobile and web, with a strong preference for mobile-first.
- Technical Knowledge - Must be familiar with the latest technologies including Rails, React, React Native, PostgresSQL, Heroku, AWS, S3 etc.
- Strong business acumen - especially familiarity with subscription-based consumer electronics businesses and Saas metrics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - especially in creating detailed, crisp business requirements, functional requirements and user stories that can be used to create product specifications and architecture for each product.
- Leadership - Prior experience recruiting, hiring, managing, and developing product management talent. Bonus: prior experience firing a direct report
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Saas metrics typical of any subscription business, including but not limited to: acquisition, engagement and retention.
- Progress on roadmap vs commitments.
- Adoption and retention of loyalty program
- Per capita energy reduction of homes in the Inspire membership base.
- Contribution to the individual success and job satisfaction of each direct report.